MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #76
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorham View Post
I think it would be great if they did the NBBQL contests at current events but set them up as separate contests, almost a Major/Minor league system.

It would be great for the contest because they get the big name teams, especially if they are interacting and doing demonstrations, but have it be a separate event (maybe alter the scoring a bit so they won't be comparable to the Master Series event). It would also be great for the NBBQL because they could utilize the infrastructure of the masters series contest (electricity, reps, judging tent, etc.). I would make it separate and alter the scoring a bit so you don't have the problem of some random team stepping up and winning (or people seeing they would have won with the scores).
We held our events concurrently last year and had an extra $500 to “beat the league” out of 12 events, NBBQL won 10 of them. The only exceptions were the Royal Invitational and De Soto. I don’t think we’re worried about some random team winning. In fact, we’d celebrate it.

We decided to go stand alone events because we got mixed feedback when we came to contests. It honestly wasn’t worth the negativity.

After deciding to go stand alone it allowed us to change the format up to make it more fan and sponsor friendly. We are really happy with what we came up with so it ended up being a win win.

That being said, we have an event in October in Lebanon, Missouri that is paired up with a normal KCBS event. The Masters Series teams cook and turn in like normal, but after that, we will do our thing to entertain the crowds, pass out samples, and have our live scoring competition before the Master Series awards. It will be very interesting to see how that one goes because I really like the format.

I’ll love to hear any feedback after people get a look on Friday. So far our biggest obstacle looks like bandwidth! Ironic coming from the side of the Sprint Center.

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #77
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that it is “professional” BBQ. Some teams don’t have the time or resources to compete with the big dogs so the immediate answer is to bring them down to their level so they can still play. How does that make any sense? It’s the major leagues. It’s not for everyone.

That being said, with the divide between the haves and have nots KCBS needs to concentrate on divisions. Take golf for example. Not everyone belongs on the pro tour, but everyone can play in a local club event.

I get that people like competing against and beating the big dogs, but you can’t have it both ways. Look at me! Making friends! Again!
lol....man I think you don't need to apologize or worry about making friends at all.....because you are 100% right.

I think I even said in another thread months ago that guys like me competing against guys like you is mostly a losing battle. I have to have a great day and you have to have a bad day or get the TOD for me beat you.....and guess what, I fully accept that. You do it so much that if you aren't better than me then you are doing the wrong thing. I would love to be able to dedicate more of my life to doing it in the hopes that I could get on the big dog level someday. That likely will never happen for me though.

Now with that said, here is one thing I will point out. In all of the contests I have been to over the years, 95% rarely have more than 1 or 2 "big dogs" there. My point is that I think the "sport" relies on the guys like me and many others that are hoping for a perfect cook to beat guys like you. Because if the contests only relied on the big dogs then I think you would have far less contests for folks to attend because there simply aren't enough "big dogs" to fill up all of the comps.

In other words, the organizers need the "sacrificial" lambs and their money to keep the contests viable and still acquire sponsorship monies etc.

so please understand I am in no way trying to be critical.....more than one thing can be true. Us part timers MUST accept that to be a part of the professional BBQ culture that we will struggle to have success against top teams.....but top teams need us there anyway. as for me, I love being a part of the culture enough to accept that success for me at a contest is hopefully getting a call or two and occasionally getting a couple of checks to cover some gas or meats.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #78
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
We held our events concurrently last year and had an extra $500 to “beat the league” out of 12 events, NBBQL won 10 of them. The only exceptions were the Royal Invitational and De Soto. I don’t think we’re worried about some random team winning. In fact, we’d celebrate it.

We decided to go stand alone events because we got mixed feedback when we came to contests. It honestly wasn’t worth the negativity.

After deciding to go stand alone it allowed us to change the format up to make it more fan and sponsor friendly. We are really happy with what we came up with so it ended up being a win win.

That being said, we have an event in October in Lebanon, Missouri that is paired up with a normal KCBS event. The Masters Series teams cook and turn in like normal, but after that, we will do our thing to entertain the crowds, pass out samples, and have our live scoring competition before the Master Series awards. It will be very interesting to see how that one goes because I really like the format.

I’ll love to hear any feedback after people get a look on Friday. So far our biggest obstacle looks like bandwidth! Ironic coming from the side of the Sprint Center.
It's sad that you got negative feedback over the NBBQL being at events. I was hoping to be able to cook an event you guys were at this year. But I understand your decision. It's a sad world we live in today when people complain about tough competition instead of rising up and taking on the challenge. If you don't want to cook against the best in the country, then why even do it?