MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #1396
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
So I’ll be putting the Mak to work tomorrow evening! There will be a wedding I’m cooking for Saturday so it should get a good workout. I’ll be piling 8 butts in there.

Man, I can only imagine the smell of goodness from your yard during the cook. That’s a mess of butts for sure

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #1397
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Man, I can only imagine the smell of goodness from your yard during the cook. That’s a mess of butts for sure

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep! I got a 5 pound bag of sweet money rub from big poppa smokers. First time ordering rub online. Hopefully the flavor of the rub is good. You know the smoke is going to be heavenly. I’ll be using 100% hickory.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #1398
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
My biggest cook has been 6 butts. It’ll hold 8 for sure. May be a bit tight til they start to shrink up, but they’ll fit :)

Boy oh boy that many butts leaves a nice greasy mess. Make sure your grease pan is empty before you start...lol
Yes! I took off tomorrow to clean the Mak spotless just so i will make it dirtier than ever that night. I also need to pick these butts up and do a few other chores.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #1399
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Sweet Money is a good rub. I always use it in combination with one of the SM Rubs, but it should be fine on it's own. 5 lbs will last you a long time.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #1400
Flatfour
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Greetings friends,
I am getting ready to step up from a WSM to a pellet grill and I initially thought it was going to be a little easier. There are a lot of choices!

I’m looking for a versatile cooker, that will smoke, cook and grill. Although with grilling I’m only talking mostly about burgers, maybe the occasional steak.

So far, I’ve narrowed the list down to the following in no particular order.

Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850
Blaz’n Grid Iron
Yoder YS640
Kuma Platinum

If anybody would care to throw it in their two cents regarding any of these, I would certainly appreciate it. Anything you’ve got whether it’s praise or concerns.

My wife keeps asking if I’ve ordered the grill yet and I’m suffering from analysis paralysis.

Thanks in advance
Jeremy
Flatfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #1401
SeanBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfour View Post
Greetings friends,
If anybody would care to throw it in their two cents regarding any of these, I would certainly appreciate it. Anything you’ve got whether it’s praise or concerns.
I don't have one yet but have been doing the same thing as you. Researching, thinking, researching, thinking...you get it. I narrowed it down to the YS640 Competition out of the ones you have listed here. Did look at the P&S 1250 which I think is more in line capacity wise to the YS640. (could be wrong).

Anyway, the Yoder wins out for me but the P&S is/was a close second.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #1402
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Yoder is a great choice and you won't regret it. Personally, I'd go MAK and did.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #1403
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb
Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfour View Post
Greetings friends,
I am getting ready to step up from a WSM to a pellet grill and I initially thought it was going to be a little easier. There are a lot of choices!

I’m looking for a versatile cooker, that will smoke, cook and grill. Although with grilling I’m only talking mostly about burgers, maybe the occasional steak.

So far, I’ve narrowed the list down to the following in no particular order.

Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850
Blaz’n Grid Iron
Yoder YS640
Kuma Platinum

My wife keeps asking if I’ve ordered the grill yet and I’m suffering from analysis paralysis.

Thanks in advance
Jeremy

Just my 2 cents, but out of the options you listed I’d go with the Kuma. Kuma is built a lot like a MAK 1 Star. It also offers a sweet direct sear option. The company and its level of service is outstanding, some of the best I have ever seen (I don’t even own a Kuma, but have talked at length with them on numerous occasions). One thing that sets them out from the others in your list is that, like the MAK, they use aluminized steel under their high temp powder coat finish. That means you’ll never have to deal with rust issues :)

Oh yeah, Kuma also uses 304 SS in the cooking chamber. All double walled 304. That’s a BIG deal!!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq

Last edited by rwalters; 12-28-2018 at 11:38 AM..
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #1404
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Flat four... out of the ones you listed I’d go Yoder or kuma. I haven’t heard anything good or bad about kuma but the materials used and features are top notch. Yoder is a great performer but my gripe is in that same price range kuma and Mak are both powder coated aluminized steel with tons of 304 stainless which unlike the Yoder will not rust.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #1405
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Last night cooked a rib roast on the Daniel Boone. No pics - I've posted enough pics of my pooper. Came out great, but had a little trouble with the temp probe. It read 135 when I knew the roast wasn't done. Tested with my Maverick and Thermapen and they both read 98. Finished using the Maverick. I'm sure I did something wrong; I'll have to keep using both probes until I figure it out. Still love my DB!

Old 12-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #1406
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
Last night cooked a rib roast on the Daniel Boone. No pics - I've posted enough pics of my pooper. Came out great, but had a little trouble with the temp probe. It read 135 when I knew the roast wasn't done. Tested with my Maverick and Thermapen and they both read 98. Finished using the Maverick. I'm sure I did something wrong; I'll have to keep using both probes until I figure it out. Still love my DB!
Huh hopefully you figure out what’s going on

Old 12-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #1407
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

So this is the cleanest my grills been since I got it. Cleaned it top to bottom. Ironically it will be the dirtiest it’s ever been here in a few hours. Wonder if I will have to dump the grease tray midway through the cook? I’ve cooked 3 racks of ribs in the past and there was barely any grease at all in it. I’m not thinking I will.

Last edited by BKING!; 12-28-2018 at 04:56 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #1408
Joshw
Babbling Farker

What does the grease tray look like on a Mak? On my Yoder the grease drains into a bucket underneath. I keep foil liners in it, and just throw it away when it gets full.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #1409
Corvus
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dave

I shopped for over a year B4 deciding. I liked the MAK and Yoders.....but had to travel 60 miles to view them. I have a Blazin dealer 10 minutes away, after much comparison I went with a Grid Iron model. The 2019 models now have factory installed door gasket and hopper dump and pre orders on Black Friday saved $300! In my opinion, $ for $ and feature for feature.....you can't go wrong with any of these.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #1410
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
What does the grease tray look like on a Mak? On my Yoder the grease drains into a bucket underneath. I keep foil liners in it, and just throw it away when it gets full.
It’s a slide out stainless grease tray on the right hand side of the smoker. It holds quite a bit