Whole venison leg on the kamado

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Today I scratched something off my list that I have been wanting to cook for a long time...a whole venison hind quarter.

A buddy and I have been talking about doing it for a while and today was the day. He brought over a hind quarters off a young buck he killed with his bow this season. We studded it with garlic and then gave it a healthy dose of Oakridge BBQ's venison & wild game rub and a secondary layer of Oakridge's Santa Maria rub.

Onto the kamado which was running lump charcoal with a chunk of hickory, apple and plum. Results were spectacular - tender, flavorful, simply delicious. We decided this was going to become a yearly tradition.

On to the pictures!

Rubbed up:

Waiting for the pit to come up to temp:

Barley fit but it fit - whole leg on the Vision Kamado

Since we had time to kill we decided to have a quick fish fry - thawed up a bag of crappie from earlier this spring. Tried a couple new beers while we were at it.

Crappie getting happy:

Simple batter - Andy's Cajun

Back to the leg - looking good:

And pulled - IT hit about 128-130

Closer look - the smells at this point were heavenly

After a 30 minute rest:

Juicy - tender - smoke ring:

Plenty of juice!

Sliced up:

Thinly sliced, little horseradish slathered on and rolled up - fantastic

I had high hopes for this cook but didn't know what to expect never having done it before. This was probably one of the top 3 things I have cooked...

Oh, hell yes!

You had a great Saturday... and there's plenty more deliciousness to come with a hunk of meat like that one.

Thanks everyone - it was a blast to cook, we will be doing it again next season assuming one of us gets another deer.

That looks FANTASTIC! what temp were you running and about how long did it take to come up to 130* IT? thanks

That looks FANTASTIC! what temp were you running and about how long did it take to come up to 130* IT? thanks

brimclau - my initial target was going to be around 250 to 300 but temps spiked on my while setting up the fish fry. The pit hit 600 in the dome thermometer before I got it shut down. It settled to 400 for a bit and then dropped down to 300 and cruised there for the remainder of the cook. I don't have an exact timing of the cook, forgot to look since I was multitasking but it wasn't on there more than a couple hours.

Back