Sam's, is it worth it???

wildflower

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Went to SAM’s last Saturday to get some pork butts and other things. Got over in the fresh vegetables and in the frig there was peeled garlic. Thinking why not I got a box and then LOOKED, product of CHINA!!!!! CHINA, they grow it there in who knows what and put it on a ship, brought it to California and put in on a train or truck and brought it to Kentucky. Am I missing something here like they passed Gilroy, California, garlic capital of the world. I put it back. The garlic with the skin on was from China also.

When will SAM’s and China-Mart learn? :mad2:

Dude, even the produce stands sell fresh garlic from China. I refuse to buy it. I try only to buy garlic from CA since they know what the heck they are doing there.

Southernstyle, take a look at some of your local produce stands, it will sicken you. Lots of stuff from china.

let's not forget the dog food and baby formula they produced that KILLED
:mad2: do these people even care????

let's not forget the dog food and baby formula they produced that KILLED
:mad2: do these people even care????
Geeze... who'd a thought that putting MELAMINE in baby formula would be DANGEROUS????? :doh:

Melamine is used for:
melaminedinnerware

Forget where I learned it, but bearded garlic is California garlic and the clean shaved garlic is from China. (I should probably put a usually or something in there somewhere)

its a wholesale major discount store. not sure what you expect.

I got free garlic when I lived in Gilroy, just picked it up out of the fields after harvesting before it was plowed under.

X2...

Everyone wants a deal. And everyone, whether they work or not, wants to make the most of their money, and wants to get paid lots of it. No way USA stuff can compete with most import products based just on price, due to labor costs and other factors...:boxing:

Those stores love the lowest price and for garlic apparently it is coming from China. Sucks that they can't get it from the US, but I don't expect that from Sam's and Walmart.

It really is hard to believe it is cheaper to ship garlic from China, than to buy it from California. It's not like the migrant garlic pickers in Cali are overpaid.

But, the the so called "job creators" here really don't care where they create those jobs, as long as they can maximize their profits.

CD

Exactly. I'm betting that the majority of the products at Sam's club have a "made in china" label on them, food & otherwise. Chinese goods are so much cheaper, and those big-box stores are in business to provide the cheapest goods possible. Some things are of equal quality, some are junk. Just keep a watchful eye.

You know, I never gave a thought to looking at a label to see where a product is made. :doh: It's about time I did. Good post.

Exactly. I'm betting that the majority of the products at Sam's club have a "made in china" label on them, food & otherwise. Chinese goods are so much cheaper, and those big-box stores are in business to provide the cheapest goods possible. Some things are of equal quality, some are junk. Just keep a watchful eye.

Not just Sams and WalMart. But for some reason everyone points them out. As long as it's imported, we all keep buying it.

It seems made in the USA is a thing of the past. Ever check out Cabela's almost everything they have is made in China...............

Forget where I learned it, but bearded garlic is California garlic and the clean shaved garlic is from China. (I should probably put a usually or something in there somewhere)

I can confirm what he said ^^^. I've been to Gilroy's Christopher Ranch and that's what they say. The bearded bulbs are California grown. The bulbs with the shaved clean root bottoms are from China. Steer clear of that crud. Christopher Ranch Heirloom garlic FTW!

Michael Angelo's Garlic at Christopher Ranch - YouTube

http://www.christopherranch.com/

BTW, Walmart/Sams is generally propped up by Chinese goods. If you're concerned about Chinese products, I'd shop elsewhere.

X2...

Everyone wants a deal. And everyone, whether they work or not, wants to make the most of their money, and wants to get paid lots of it. No way USA stuff can compete with most import products based just on price, due to labor costs and other factors...:boxing:

agree...

Back