The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

So I did something different on my Mak. I took everything out except the stainless steel funnel, put on a full set of grill grates, and did some burgers. I haven’t cleaned the grill yet so can’t speak on that but the searing is just as good as my kettle with lump charcoal. I set the controller to 400 deg and everything went fine and dandy! The center of the grill grates was slightly hotter than the edges but all the burgers finished at the same time. I did the full set of grates because I wasn’t concerned with heat trapping underneath the grates affecting diffuser because no diffuser!

Also took half the time for the grill to heat up. Maybe 10 minutes???

Last edited:
So I did something different on my Mak. I took everything out except the stainless steel funnel, put on a full set of grill grates, and did some burgers. I haven’t cleaned the grill yet so can’t speak on that but the searing is just as good as my kettle with lump charcoal. I set the controller to 400 deg and everything went fine and dandy! The center of the grill grates was slightly hotter than the edges but all the burgers finished at the same time. I did the full set of grates because I wasn’t concerned with heat trapping underneath the grates affecting diffuser because no diffuser!

Those look fantastic! Please post a couple of “cleanup” pics... would love to see what things look like after a cook like this. As far as your GG’s... are to saying that you used 4 panels covering every square inch?

Those look fantastic! Please post a couple of “cleanup” pics... would love to see what things look like after a cook like this. As far as your GG’s... are to saying that you used 4 panels covering every square inch?

I used 4 grill grates. I pushed them to one side giving me 1.5 inch gap to “breathe” on one side.

BKING, I thought about doing that but I think I heard it could cause damage? Burgers look good.

Here is the “damage” from four 80/20 patties.

Damage? I see no signs of damage and virtually no signs of grease. That’s a good thing :)

That said, I think I’ll stick w/ my current grilling setup of Flame Zone covers off and MAK sear grates on. Works great for my needs. But it sure is cool to see you pushing things to the limit [emoji106][emoji41]

BKING, I thought about doing that but I think I heard it could cause damage? Burgers look good.

With the way he’s doing it... leaving a gap to breathe... I can’t see how there would be any damage. I definitely wouldn’t set the controller higher than 450° though. I also think that 3 GG panels would be the safest... which would be the same grilling area that you get with the Yoder.

Higher than 450 deg would melt the grates I think lol I measured the gap and it was actually closer to 2 inches. Highest I’ll go is probably 400 deg. It’s hotter than you think. I might go to 3 panels to be on the safe side though

Higher than 450 deg would melt the grates I think lol I measured the gap and it was actually closer to 2 inches. Highest I’ll go is probably 400 deg. It’s hotter than you think. I might go to 3 panels to be on the safe side though

450° will not melt the grates... lol. Anodized aluminum has a melting point of a lil over 1100°.
d741c4b701ea6aec01184bfbb8f9ef60.jpg

450° will not melt the grates... lol. Anodized aluminum has a melting point of a lil over 1100°.
d741c4b701ea6aec01184bfbb8f9ef60.jpg

Only thing is if I take to 500 deg then the 500 deg measurement is indirect. The grill grates will be much hotter than that. Probably closer to 800-900 deg with the set up I got. Grill grates says not to exceed 800 deg I believe.

Only thing is if I take to 500 deg then the 500 deg measurement is indirect. The grill grates will be much hotter than that. Probably closer to 800-900 deg with the set up I got. Grill grates says not to exceed 800 deg I believe.

Well there’s absolutely no reason to exceed 800° at the GG surface unless you enjoy charred/burnt/nasty tasting grill marks. But they will not warp or melt at 800° :)

Well there’s absolutely no reason to exceed 800° at the GG surface unless you enjoy charred/burnt/nasty tasting grill marks. But they will not warp or melt at 800° :)

Good to know. I might do a steak cook soon and see how it does.

With the way he’s doing it... leaving a gap to breathe... I can’t see how there would be any damage. I definitely wouldn’t set the controller higher than 450° though. I also think that 3 GG panels would be the safest... which would be the same grilling area that you get with the Yoder.

I actually quit using all of the grill grates together on my Weber gasser. It was trapping way too much heat underneath the grates and got hot enough to melt my vinyl grill cover stored underneath. Now I take out at least one panel for more air flow and no fear of melting my ignitors.

Ok Pelletheads. About to do my first Brisket on my Mak 1.

Have a 9 lb Brisket. I usually smoked hot and fast on my WSM but trying to decide how to smoke it on the Mak. Do yall smoke it on Smoke mode and then crank the heat? Im thinking about just setting it on 225 and either keeping it there the entire cook or cranking the temp for a few hours during the stall then bringing it back down.

Anyway, any suggestions are helpful. I like alot of smoke and so far havent had as much smoke as i have liked which is why i want to smoke at a lower temp for this cook.

Thanks.

Ok Pelletheads. About to do my first Brisket on my Mak 1.

Have a 9 lb Brisket. I usually smoked hot and fast on my WSM but trying to decide how to smoke it on the Mak. Do yall smoke it on Smoke mode and then crank the heat? Im thinking about just setting it on 225 and either keeping it there the entire cook or cranking the temp for a few hours during the stall then bringing it back down.

Anyway, any suggestions are helpful. I like alot of smoke and so far havent had as much smoke as i have liked which is why i want to smoke at a lower temp for this cook.

Thanks.

If you like a lot of smoke then do smoke setting for a couple hours and 225 naked the rest of the way through.

I actually did a pork tenderloin at 225 all the way through and it turned out too smoky for my taste. Smoke is definitely a personal thing

Last edited:
I actually did a pork tenderloin at 225 all the way through and it turned out too smoky for my taste. Smoke is definitely a personal thing

Do you smoke on the top or bottom shelf? Im reading that it may be better and get more smoke on the top.

Do you smoke on the top or bottom shelf? Im reading that it may be better and get more smoke on the top.

Unless smoking a lot of meat, I smoke everything on the upper grate. Most of my smoking is done w/ the Pellet Boss set to 210° which gives me an upper grate temp of 225-235°. Lower set temp means a bit more smoke, but still get a bit higher cooking temp cooking on upper grate. Win win if ya ask me. Regarding heavier smoke. In my opinion, if you are used to laying down heavy smoke on your WSM you will never achieve that on your MAK. I cooked on WSM’s for years. Fantastic smokers! I used to love heavy smoke and I used to think that heavy smoke was the proper way to smoke meats. Nowadays when I taste meat with heavier smoke profiles, I find myself not really enjoying it anymore. To me, it’s all about a light clean smoke profile. Smoke seasoned meat vs smoked. In my opinion, if you keep cooking on your MAK there is a good chance that like me, your tastes are gonna start to change. Heck, I remember the first time I went from charcoal/chunks to a stick burner. My first few cooks left me wondering where the smoke was... lol.

Unless smoking a lot of meat, I smoke everything on the upper grate. Most of my smoking is done w/ the Pellet Boss set to 210° which gives me an upper grate temp of 225-235°. Lower set temp means a bit more smoke, but still get a bit higher cooking temp cooking on upper grate. Win win if ya ask me. Regarding heavier smoke. In my opinion, if you are used to laying down heavy smoke on your WSM you will never achieve that on your MAK. I cooked on WSM’s for years. Fantastic smokers! I used to love heavy smoke and I used to think that heavy smoke was the proper way to smoke meats. Nowadays when I taste meat with heavier smoke profiles, I find myself not really enjoying it anymore. To me, it’s all about a light clean smoke profile. Smoke seasoned meat vs smoked. In my opinion, if you keep cooking on your MAK there is a good chance that like me, your tastes are gonna start to change. Heck, I remember the first time I went from charcoal/chunks to a stick burner. My first few cooks left me wondering where the smoke was... lol.

I echo this 100%. I used to like charcoal smokers until I started cooking on stickburners. Once I went back to charcoal smoking I definitely didn’t like it as much. I like smokers with lots of airflow and where there is a standing flame. That’s means you have reached burning bush which is the 3rd stage of wood combustion. When wood burns with plenty of oxygen you burn off all the nasties and aromatic polymers are formed. I call those aromatic polymers “wood perfume”. That’s why stickburners and pellet smokers smell great when burning and charcoal smokers have kind of a dirty bonfire smell when in use.

So I prefer stickburners and pellet smokers for flavor. My wife and family does too.

I echo this 100%. I used to like charcoal smokers until I started cooking on stickburners. Once I went back to charcoal smoking I definitely didn’t like it as much. I like smokers with lots of airflow and where there is a standing flame. That’s means you have reached burning bush which is the 3rd stage of wood combustion. When wood burns with plenty of oxygen you burn off all the nasties and aromatic polymers are formed. I call those aromatic polymers “wood perfume”. That’s why stickburners and pellet smokers smell great when burning and charcoal smokers have kind of a dirty bonfire smell when in use.

So I prefer stickburners and pellet smokers for flavor. My wife and family does too.

I sort of know what you mean about charcoal having a dirty bonfire smell when in use.

However I've found this to be particularly true with Kingsford and other briquettes, and less the case with well lit lump charcoal such as Royal Oak, and going a little heavier on the wood chunks in my WSMs, and having the wood chunks well burned down to almost coals.

That has given me the best smoke flavor for my personal taste, not that I don't enjoy the light smoke flavor from my Rec Tec too.

On a side note, some people find the smoke from out of smoke tubes filled with pellets, to be less desirable, however I have not.

It's fine to my personal tastes, even though smoke coming from smoldering pellets in a smoke tube tends to be a bit more thick and white than thin and blue, I find that even this white smoke coming from off of pellets in a smoke tube, is not as strong and bad tasting as white smoke coming from off of charcoal briquettes.

The first time I saw it, I’m thinking; “oh man, this is going to taste awful”.

But I’ve found that white smoke from out of my smoke tube with pellets, isn’t necessarily the ominous sign that white smoke coming from out of a charcoal grill is.

Last edited:
Back