MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
misterrachel
On the road to being a farker

Default 4th of July brisket fail...

Made my first run with our new Camp Chef Woodwind. Could not find a whole packer to save my life, ended up with a flat. Went in the smoke at 250. When I started checking for doneness, the edges probed easily, but the center did not. Two hours later, the center probed like butter, but the whole thing ended up way overcooked. I did not do a Texas crutch. Any thoughts as to where i went astray? Was I wrong to wait so long when the edges were already done?

Old 07-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Flats don't have that nice fat insulation like a packer so maybe wrap next time. I always wrap with butcher paper when the temp of the flat is around 160-170.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterrachel View Post
Made my first run with our new Camp Chef Woodwind. Could not find a whole packer to save my life, ended up with a flat. Went in the smoke at 250. When I started checking for doneness, the edges probed easily, but the center did not. Two hours later, the center probed like butter, but the whole thing ended up way overcooked. I did not do a Texas crutch. Any thoughts as to where i went astray? Was I wrong to wait so long when the edges were already done?
The piece of meat that you started with possibly made it an uphill battle to begin with.

Was that flat "USDA Choice" by chance?

Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
misterrachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowmotionQue View Post
The piece of meat that you started with possibly made it an uphill battle to begin with.

Was that flat "USDA Choice" by chance?
It was a prime. But, I agree, it was probably a simply uphill battle to begin with.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

No failure, only learning opportunities. Except for the brisket I did back in March. That was a fail. But it does sound like you had your work cut out for you smoking just a flat. I'm still a brisket newbie but the flat always gives me fits, particularly the middle.
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

A lot of people including myself smoked a flat as their first brisket because that was all they could find. Find a good butcher or meat distributor that sells to the public in your area to get packers. My wife was able to save my early brisket attempts by braising the brisket in beef broth or throwing it in the pressure cooker with beef broth.

Your next one will be better!

Chris

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 07-06-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

My first brisket cook was also a flat...

and it was terrible. I'm talking, "Order a pizza!" terrible.

So have faith and have fun. Keep trying and learn, learn, learn.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #8
JonathanG
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Jon

There is no such thing as a “brisket fail.” Nope, no such thing. There is however brisket chili...
JonathanG is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #9
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Falling apart when you sliced?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2019, 02:42 AM   #10
davidparker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I do flats often, since I cook for two usually. I have had the same problem. I will loosely wrap the ends of the flat with foil to act as a heat shield when I notice they are getting close. It's not perfect, but it does help.

Tags
brisket, fail