MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:03 AM   #46
Nash
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Nash

Thanks @gtsum! Looks like a 10 or 15 degree downturn? I'm like you @sandro, decisions decisions (also tried an aluminum Franklin-style temporary setup that worked well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro View Post
Hey thank you so much for the pics, it's more or less what I had fabricated out of a baking sheet, I'll adjust the lip to about 30° as seen in the pics; though I built the Franklin deflector recently and it's been giving me amazing results
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-14-2021, 06:28 AM   #47
sandro
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : sandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Thanks @gtsum! Looks like a 10 or 15 degree downturn? I'm like you @sandro, decisions decisions (also tried an aluminum Franklin-style temporary setup that worked well)
Honestly I don't think I'm going back to other prototypes after seeing how well this tiny backyard offset performs with the Franklin-style baffle... Though the Workhorse seem to be a little bit more efficient with fuel consumption (half the throat, less draw)
🇺🇸 Insta @sandrobbq
🇮🇹 YouTube sandrobbq
sandro is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #48
SkaterSmoker
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro View Post
Honestly I don't think I'm going back to other prototypes after seeing how well this tiny backyard offset performs with the Franklin-style baffle... Though the Workhorse seem to be a little bit more efficient with fuel consumption (half the throat, less draw)

I don't think the WH and Franklin have that much of difference in throat size. Those pictures of the WH throat is from a 24" pipe vs. the Franklin 20" pipe. I bet if you measured sq. inches of the throat, the WH wouldn't be that much smaller, although they have a different shape.
SkaterSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #49
rque
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Ray

I recently got my shipping notice on my 1969, I’ll try to remember to measure the throat dimensions when I clean out and season it when it arrives. I think the 1969 is closest in dimensions to Franklin (20”dx42”l).
rque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #50
stevens_bbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Paul

Received my 1957 last Friday. Seasoned it on Saturday and cooked on Sunday.

So far very impressed by how efficient it is and the quality of the pit.
stevens_bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #51
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Some More pics with measurements

P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #52
sandro
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : sandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaterSmoker View Post
I don't think the WH and Franklin have that much of difference in throat size. Those pictures of the WH throat is from a 24" pipe vs. the Franklin 20" pipe. I bet if you measured sq. inches of the throat, the WH wouldn't be that much smaller, although they have a different shape.
Two 24" pipes overlapping at grate level give about 177 square inches of throat, which is then halved to 88.5; two 20" pipes give 123 square inches; shape aside, WH's throat is 28% smaller. For comparison, my tiny 16x36 has a 78 square inches throat, and WH's-style baffle halved it to 39, which is still larger than the suggested minimum 33 for my 16x21" firebox. When using that design I noticed a higher fuel efficiency but somewhat less draw. Potato potato perhaps

edit: @gtsum thanks a ton man! I'm planning on building a sturdier WH-style baffle for the smoker to run some more tests, those measurements will be really helpful in scaling things down

edit 2: seems like there's a tiny gap between the lip / baffle and the half-moon, 1/4" at most, where a small amount of heat can escape and rise while the rest gets pushed further down because of the Venturi effect caused by the 30° slope. Interesting
🇺🇸 Insta @sandrobbq
🇮🇹 YouTube sandrobbq

Last edited by sandro; 10-14-2021 at 11:20 AM..
sandro is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->