Butter the Hamburger Bun or Not?

Butter before toasting or not? (NOTE: Public Poll)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
So last night I decided to make burgers for dinner. I had picked up some brioche buns and decided to toast them on the grill. Having seen people butter their brioche buns before toasting on a grill, I decided to give it a try by spreading some melted butter on them then popping them on the gill. I normally just pop them unbuttered on the grill to toast or toast them in the oven. To be honest, I was underwhelmed with the results. I didn't find that the buns toasted any better or worse then without the butter. And with the mustard, ketchup, onions, pickles, and burger flavors being more prominent, I couldn't taste any difference between these buttered then toasted buns and my normally unbuttered toasted buns.

Any thoughts about buttered versus unbuttered when toasting hamburger buns?

We buttered and toasted our buns up until spring of this year. About the time the temperatures started to rise and we noticed the toaster heated the trailer about 15 degrees hotter than without, the toaster "broke" and we quit doing it. We never noticed a difference and haven't received a single comment about it from our customers, so I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Butter or Mayo for me. It's not just about flavor, which I can taste. But the fat protects your bun from getting soggy.

Definitely this ^^^ hydrophobic. When I grind my own meat and make burgers I'll do them medium, maybe a touch medium rare, and they're very juicy. Without some hydrophobic shield on the bottom, the bun often would disintegrate. I can taste mayo, but not really butter (probably because I use less than I do mayo), as you said.

Butter it, but I toast them on a pan or electric fry pan in the kitchen. I do texas toast on the grill but I think if you want a good toast for the hamburger bun you may want to do it on a flat top.

I always toast, most of the time with butter. I like the crispiness of the bun. Haven't really paid attention to taste. I think it tastes better though.

Any way is good for me. Grilled, toasted. Butter or no butter. What gets my goat is these burger joints charging $10 or more for a hapless burger with a raw, untoasted cold bun. I send them back for a redo.

I voted yes, because there is no mayo option. I did mayo on a pork sandwich some time ago and I was sold on it over butter, but I will accept butter as an alternative.

ok, OK! This is my Specialty. YES butter said bread. Grill marks optional.

RVvjzlc.jpg

Back