Looking for POST OAK!

patriotn11

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to post, I just finished restoring a 24x40 lonestargrillz offset smoker.

I am looking for good quality seasoned POST OAK, here in San Antonio 1/2 - maybe 1 cord! If I have to will drive my truck up to Austin! I never cooked with it but ere goos things, I'm a mesquite type of cooker!

I want a reputable seller!

Any input thanks

Michael in San Antonio

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
post oak

I can't tell the difference between post oak, red oak, white oak.......

Didn't Bigmista once post something saying that "wood was wood" and was all basically the same? Most people could not tell the difference in a blind taste test. (just 'cooking' wood- no pine, fir or others)

I think he did a full reverse when mesquite was brought up. He would not let it near his pit.

Didn't Bigmista once post something saying that "wood was wood" and was all basically the same? Most people could not tell the difference in a blind taste test. (just 'cooking' wood- no pine, fir or others)

I think he did a full reverse when mesquite was brought up. He would not let it near his pit.

^^^^^This

I’ve always thought of smoking wood as falling into three categories: fruitwood (apple, cherry, etc.); regular hardwood (hickory, pecan, oak, etc.); and mesquite (in a category of its own). Depending upon the meat and the prep, I often can identify which category of wood was used to smoke it. But I never have been able, by tasting the food, to distinguish between woods within a category, say hickory from pecan.

Unlike Bigmista, however, I love, love, love to smoke some meats with mesquite.

I think one of the most important things on wood is how dry it is. That makes a much bigger difference then which wood. By dumb luck when I was young I planted an orchard on my place, the value is not in the fruit but in the wood. If I could give the young guys on here any advice on BBQ it would be plant trees, and a lot of them.

^^^^^This

I’ve always thought of smoking wood as falling into three categories: fruitwood (apple, cherry, etc.); regular hardwood (hickory, pecan, oak, etc.); and mesquite (in a category of its own). Depending upon the meat and the prep, I often can identify which category of wood was used to smoke it. But I never have been able, by tasting the food, to distinguish between woods within a category, say hickory from pecan.

Agreed.

Post oak is in the white oak family so any white oak will work if you can find it. I have a ton of burr oak on my farm which is in the white oak family also. It burns longer and hotter than any other oak variety except maybe live oak, good stuff!

Stop saying there isn't a big difference between post oak and other oaks. Simply not true......because when you buy post you can certainly notice the big "price difference" when purchasing :-D. Especially if the seller knows what Franklin has done for the demand in Tx :becky: or anywhere else.

If you guys understood how much Post Oak is in North Texas and Central Texas - It's like asking "Where do I find blades of grass?" :grin:

No offense to the OP, just having some fun with you. Check out Craigslist or anyone selling firewood for seasoned Post Oak (AKA Iron Oak, Cross Oak).

Blackjack Oak (AKA Barren Oak, Jack Oak, Black Oak) is similar and also plentiful here.

Congrat's on the new LSG Smoker, looks great!

^^^^^This

I would definitely agree with this. Last time I was in Austin I picked up a face cord of post oak. When I got back to Wisconsin I tested it against our white oak and it was indistinguishable for me. So I probably won’t transport any post oak 1000+ miles again. I do notice a difference between the red and white oak around here for what that’s worth. I grew up eating smoked salmon from a small smoke shack up north. They used red oak, so whenever I have something smoked with red oak it tastes fishy..

If you guys understood how much Post Oak is in North Texas and Central Texas - It's like asking "Where do I find blades of grass?" :grin:

No offense to the OP, just having some fun with you. Check out Craigslist or anyone selling firewood for seasoned Post Oak (AKA Iron Oak, Cross Oak).

Blackjack Oak (AKA Barren Oak, Jack Oak, Black Oak) is similar and also plentiful here.

Literally this. It’s pretty abundant around here and the OP shouldn’t have a problem finding any.

Love the humor and thanks for the post! :clap:

I'm surprised people here can't distinguish the difference between red and white oak...maybe the difference is more apparent in my region? Out here in eastern NC red oak is pungent and really off-putting in both flavor and aroma, while white oak is sweet and pleasant. Unfortunately red oak is abundant so it's what most people use, but I'm really sensitive to smoke and can absolutely taste / smell the difference. I'm at the point where I routinely drive ~100 miles to get white oak / pecan rather than grab red oak at a much cheaper price just up the road.

Red oak can get a bacterial infection that makes the wood smell like urine. When I cut it on the sawmill the oder is overwhelming!

Not all trees will have this so if you get some with that smell use it in the fire pit or fireplace.

There is a reason deer prefer white oak acorns over red oak acorns.

Back