Smokin a meat loaf tomorrow

smokedinvt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey - gonna smoke a meat loaf tomorrow - first timer for that. But after seeing a few threads on this, I thought what the heck, give it a try.

Anyone got a sure fire meat loaf recipe? :confused:

I like to mix the meats, about 2/3 ground chuck to 1/3 ground pork. I use a mix of 1 onion chpped, 2 carrots finely minced, 2 stalks celery finely minced, 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs and 1 to 2 eggs all mixed into the ground meat mix. I do not precook the vegetables, although some do. I will also add salt and pepper, and sometimes some rub to taste.

I like meatloaf that is not smoked in juice, so I put it on a rack and top with either ketchup or BBQ sauce. Some use bacon, which is also good as a topping.

Grind up some bacon and add it to the mix. A bacon webbing is OK, but putting it inside is downright awesome!

Here is one that I have been using for a couple of years that always turns out great. It was posted by Griff on the BBQ Central Forum. Remember that ground meat takes in a lot of smoke, so go light on the wood.

Griff Loaf

2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup onions finely diced
½ red pepper finely diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
½ cup grated Parmesan
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup milk
1large egg lightly beaten
5 or6 dashes of Worcestershire
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper 1.5 lbs ground beef
1 lbs sausage
Saute the diced onions in the oil until they turn golden brown. (about 10 minutes) Soak the bread crumbs in the milk for a couple minutes. Mix everything together and for into loaf. I smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 165*. Sauce can be added the last 15 minutes.

+1 on the Griff loaf. I did it for the first time a few weeks back. It was also the first ML I have ever made as well. My wife refuses to make meat loaf for now on in the oven.
brisket038.jpg

brisket046.jpg

OK - mouth is officially watering. Got to head to the store to get ingredients so I can get going on this bad boy.
thanks for all the pointers!

You just can't go wrong with Alton Brown's meatloaf.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

I do one of these up at least once a month both in the oven and on the smoker. When I do it in the smoker I cook it at 275 and I do not glaze it for about and hour so the loaf can get some smoke. Also at 275 you are looking at about 2+ hours to finish off. Sometimes I will saute the veggies first if I have some extra time on my hands.

Good luck and I think you will agree a loaf int he smoker is way better then one in the oven. But come to think about it isn't everything?

I took photos of the prep and I will take some of the finished product. I'll also post the official taste test and let you all know......
This is not only the first meatloaf I have ever made, but also the first one I have ever smoked. I remain hopefiul :pray:

Back