Pig Candy v2.0

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I love pig candy, and have had good reviews on what I do in the past. However, I was eating a candied pecan, and got an idea to try something similar.

I took 4 egg whites and started whipping them, adding brown sugar and a touch of cayenne pepper. Once the egg whites reached firm peaks, I dredged bacon strips through the egg whites, and topped with more brown sugar.

The bacon went on a rack on a cookie sheet, sprayed with cooking spray (PAM), and baked at 300, turned every 15 minutes until nicely browned and getting crispy.

The result is a pig candy with a bit of a light texture, a nice crunch, and great flavor.

In other words, GREAT stuff! This will likely be my preference for pig candy from now on!

6535184079_b9602549cb_b.jpg

6535183391_b486c8be4f_b.jpg

Excellent work! I (and apparently everyone else) love pig candy - but that is kicking it up a notch right there :clap2:.

Great idea:clap2: that will help with evening out the sugar coating. Thanks for the tip.:thumb:

That's smart work Curt. I think you might have raised the bar on pig candy a little right there.

I think I love you!:shock:

that brings a bit of a tear to my eye... :reface:

Really, this turned out even better than I'd expected, and it's pretty easy.

One cure for uneven brown sugar, though, is just pile more on! :)

This looks amazing! Would like to try this while my son is home on leave. The boy lives for bacon, so this would be a nice treat for him. Thanks! :clap2:

If you're going to try this, here are a couple of tips:

1. Let the egg whites sit out, up to 24 hours, before beating them. They tend to do better that way for some reason.

2. Don't add too much brown sugar to the egg whites. I added about half a cup total, then added more directly to the bacon.

3. I added the cayenne I used to the egg whites to ensure more even coverage than sprinkling on the bacon itself.

4. When you beat the egg whites, use all that you can right away. It doesn't sit well, so you'll want to beat a batch of egg whites for each batch of bacon, just before using it. For a cookie sheet, 3 egg whites should probably work, but you might add 4 just to be safe. Once you get the batch of bacon ready, just get rid of the extra egg whites. If you're doing more bacon, just start over.

I just got home from work... Those that tried the pig candy 2.0 (it went FAST) said that it was even better than the last version.

Nice I love pig candy and candied almonds so this should be great. Thanks for sharing on my list of things to do here soon.

Back