Pig Candy

MrSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I made Big Belly's Pig Candy for the wife one day when wasn't feeling good and she's hooked on it.She would rather have that than ... Good stuff but i don't eat much of it because it don't go with beer and smoke :wink:

I've searched the archives trying to hunt down this item - it's recipe - no luck.

Could you elaborate a little more on this Pig Candy?

Thanks

Mule

muledeer said:
I've searched the archives trying to hunt down this item - it's recipe - no luck.

Could you elaborate a little more on this Pig Candy?

Thanks

Mule
I have a printed copy i can fax or e-mail to you.

Indeed, the recipe section is wacky. All my recipes are gone like the wind!

Pig Candy

Ingredients
· Bacon (several strips)
· Brown Sugar (enough to coat strips of bacon)

Directions

1. Coat uncooked bacon in some dark brown sugar.

2. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Here's a more elaborate version
Bacon Brittle

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sweet butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup smoked or regular pecans -- chopped
1/2 cup fresh smoked bacon bits

butter a large non-stick baking sheet
In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat. Stirring constantly, cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil. Using a candy thermometer, increase heat to high and without stirring, bring the mixture to 290 degrees. Remove from heat.
Stir in the butter, vanilla, baking soda, pecans and bacon bits. When the foam subsides, as thinly as possible, pour the hot mixture on to the baking sheet. Carefully tilt and shake baking sheet to even mixture out. Do not spread with a spatula.
Cool at least 20 minutes and break into small pieces.
Store in a covered container.

Sounds awesome. I think I just wet myself.

I hear this goes well with it...

MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE

1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill >
Boil white wine and shallots in heavy medium saucepan over high heat until liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add whipping cream and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, about 2 minutes. Add Dijon mustard, basil and dill. Simmer 2 minutes to blend flavors. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes about 1 cup.

I tried the Bacon Brittle recipe today. No mustar cream sauce... Ran out of time... :)

This is good stuff! If you like bacon with syrup on it, you'll like the brittle. I think that the next time I make it I will substitute maple syrup for 1/2 the corn syrup.

Ron, try some red chilie in that recipe if you want to "kick it up a notch."

I used regular pecans since that's what I had on hand... Smoked would be very good, though... Next time... I also like the red pepper idea... Sweet hot is a favorite of mine!

oh crap, it's brethren candy! Gonna have to make some

Back