MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #61
clweed
On the road to being a farker

Be careful If you have the upgraded wheels ordered, especially if you are on a slope and moving it by yourself. The smoker is very heavy and the wheels are very smooth. I have had a few interesting moments!
clweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #62
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clweed View Post
Be careful If you have the upgraded wheels ordered, especially if you are on a slope and moving it by yourself. The smoker is very heavy and the wheels are very smooth. I have had a few interesting moments!
My driveway is on a slope too, and yes, she will roll. if you look at some of my pictures you will see that I used scrap wood from the pallet to place around the wheels to chock the smoker. You will also be able to see the slope of my driveway too. I am able to push the smoker around on my own, and even get it back into the garage when I'm done.

I have recently bough some after market chocks, that are a little more fashionable to do the same job and the wooden blocks. The wooden blocks still had bent nails in them that I hammered in so they would not bite me if I stepped on them. I place the wooden blocks on top of the smoker for quick easy access when I begin to move her.

Just be careful, and put a little thought into what you are about to do before you move the smoker and you should be fine.
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #63
jrben1

I tried to order my smoker with brakes on the swivel casters, but Chris was resistant to the idea. I don't understand why. I live in the mountains and there is not much level ground around here.
The 8" caster upgrade is really overkill @ 1500 lbs capacity per caster. If the smoker weighs 725 pounds you only need 725/4 lbs per capacity per caster.
As a matter of fact, this is the only competitor smoker on the market which doesn't have brakes on the swivel caster.
I don't know how the casters are mounted. I wonder if you could switch them out to a caster with brakes?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #64
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Bob, I think they are welded in place, but I'm not 100% sure about that!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #65
clweed

Let me clarify my last post

If you have 2 fixed /2 swivel 8" wheels I don't think you will have a problem as mike said.
I ordered 4 swivels so that I could push it in between two items and be able to pull it straight out and then move it. Very difficult with 2 fixed wheels
In my case going across a slope is a little challenging because of the 4 swivels.

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
I tried to order my smoker with brakes on the swivel casters, but Chris was resistant to the idea. I don't understand why. I live in the mountains and there is not much level ground around here.
The 8" caster upgrade is really overkill @ 1500 lbs capacity per caster. If the smoker weighs 725 pounds you only need 725/4 lbs per capacity per caster.
As a matter of fact, this is the only competitor smoker on the market which doesn't have brakes on the swivel caster.
I don't know how the casters are mounted. I wonder if you could switch them out to a caster with brakes?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #66
ggee6688

As big as it is, it rolls like butta. I also bought some chicks cheap from Wally world. It stops it pretty good. I had locks on my old smoker and they sucked. Even with wheels locked, it would still slide. Best brakes is chocks.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #67
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Anyone know how long a cook you will get at 250 with a full load of coals?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #68
clweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
Anyone know how long a cook you will get at 250 with a full load of coals?
I can get over 24 hrs with a 20# bag of lump charcoal

Lee

Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #69
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^Impressive!

Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #70
jrben1

The season premiere of BBQ Pitmasters is on Destination America @ 9 PM Eastern on April 12.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #71
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
As big as it is, it rolls like butta. I also bought some chicks cheap from Wally world. It stops it pretty good. I had locks on my old smoker and they sucked. Even with wheels locked, it would still slide. Best brakes is chocks.
Exactly why we don't use casters with wheel locks, not because we don't want to, but because I have not found any that were any good. At least not with out adding $400 to the cost of the unit, I keep thinking I will eventually find a good caster with locks but it hasn't happened yet. On another note I cooked whole chickens on my insulated at the house on Sunday. When I dropped my lite coals in the fire box and shut the door it was 1:50 pm and the guru was reading 50 degrees. My desired temp was 275 degrees and I had no water in the pan. At 2:13 it was 250 degrees and at 2:25 it was 277 degrees. It will actually get there quicker but the Guru knows to slow down the fan as it approaches your set point so it wont over shoot. Near the end I went to 300 degrees for a couple minutes just to crisp up the skin and it took less than 10 mins to make the jump (output on the fan wasn't very much here either or it could move even faster).
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #72
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

My 2" adapter came in and is installed. I will make a test run with my 10 CFM fan on Saturday night. I'm going to do a butt.

Now a question.... Any advice on setting up an over night burn at 225 degrees. I will probably start the fire about 8:30/9:00 PM and have the butt on at 9:30/10:00 PM. I'm thinking I will be in bed by 11:30 PM for a full nights sleep (I think?). Should I add water, and how much, since I will not be up to add some every hour or so? I will expect about a 15 hour cook to complete the task.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #73
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

At 225 I wouldn't think you would have a lot of evaporation so I wouldn't worry about having to add more water. In my cabinet smoker, I start with water and when it evaporates I just run it dry to the finish. I have a small pan for water, so you probably can run yours all night and then when you get up in the morning add some water then.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #74
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestargrillz View Post
Exactly why we don't use casters with wheel locks, not because we don't want to, but because I have not found any that were any good. At least not with out adding $400 to the cost of the unit, I keep thinking I will eventually find a good caster with locks but it hasn't happened yet. On another note I cooked whole chickens on my insulated at the house on Sunday. When I dropped my lite coals in the fire box and shut the door it was 1:50 pm and the guru was reading 50 degrees. My desired temp was 275 degrees and I had no water in the pan. At 2:13 it was 250 degrees and at 2:25 it was 277 degrees. It will actually get there quicker but the Guru knows to slow down the fan as it approaches your set point so it wont over shoot. Near the end I went to 300 degrees for a couple minutes just to crisp up the skin and it took less than 10 mins to make the jump (output on the fan wasn't very much here either or it could move even faster).
How many lit coals do you dump in your firebox and what size fan do you use with your guru? I'm looking at upgrading my cabinet smoker and your product is at the top of the list. Especially since I can pop down to Conroe to pick it up.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #75
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
At 225 I wouldn't think you would have a lot of evaporation so I wouldn't worry about having to add more water. In my cabinet smoker, I start with water and when it evaporates I just run it dry to the finish. I have a small pan for water, so you probably can run yours all night and then when you get up in the morning add some water then.
That's what I figured I would be doing. I will add some water after I get to temp, and just before bed, and then add a more after I wake up in the morning.

Quote:
How many lit coals do you dump in your firebox and what size fan do you use with your guru? I'm looking at upgrading my cabinet smoker and your product is at the top of the list. Especially since I can pop down to Conroe to pick it up.
Hey GGW - Not to speak for Chris but I'm pretty sure he is using a BBQ Guru set-up with a 25 CFM fan.

Here are the links:
DigiQ DX2
2" Ball Valve Adaptor
Pit Bull (25 CFM Fan)

I already have a 10 CFM Fan that is a few years old. I will using that for now, but I'm sure the 25 CFM Fan will blow more air to assist with getting those temps up before your cook, and during at a much faster rate.