Best pellet smoker

appliancedude

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My Traeger is on its last legs. I’ve had it for almost 20 years. I know pellet grills have come a long way since then. Who makes the best now? And what’s the best one for the money? Thanks

What is your budget?
You can spend a few hundred dollars or several thousand.
Any specific features you are looking for?

Whatever you do, don’t get a Mak! They’re terrible. JK...that’s bait for RWalters. :grin:

I have a Blaz’n Grand Slam and love it. It’s built very solid, keeps temps perfectly. Built like a tank. I love it. I think SmokyDick gave you a great list above. Can’t go wrong off that list.

Short answer if [emoji383] isn't involved...MAK. Long answer - Robb will be here soon - but he's the most knowledgeable pellet head here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you do, don’t get a Mak! They’re terrible. JK...that’s bait for RWalters. :grin:

I have a Blaz’n Grand Slam and love it. It’s built very solid, keeps temps perfectly. Built like a tank. I love it. I think SmokyDick gave you a great list above. Can’t go wrong off that list.

Paging Rwalters.

Short answer if [emoji383] isn't involved...MAK. Long answer - Robb will be here soon - but he's the most knowledgeable pellet head here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who the heck do you guys think I am... the resident MAK fanboy? lol [emoji38]

My Traeger is on its last legs. I’ve had it for almost 20 years. I know pellet grills have come a long way since then. Who makes the best now? And what’s the best one for the money? Thanks

The best one now is going to be highly subjective and contested based on a number of variables and bias. One of the best for the money contenders would have to be the Rec Tec 700.... solid build, solid materials, solid performance, great CS, and best warranty priced at least $500 less than nearest competitors with similar specs. Probably a little bias in that opinion as well...:-D

Those old US made Traegers were solid grills, eh? I had one back in the day and it was a very solid pellet grill. 20 years is a good run, and I’ll bet you could restore it and get even more years out of it if you wanted. That said, yes... pellet grills have come a long way.

Few questions:

-Whats the max budget?
-How many people do you cook for on a regular basis and do you enjoy entertaining? If yes, how many mouths do you typically feed with other over?
-Will this be your primary grill/smoker or more of a dedicated smoker? In other words, do you want to have the ability to grill?
-Is 304 stainless steel construction important, or will a painted and/or powder coated finish be preferred?
-Sounds like you really want to stick to US made... correct?

Pellet Grill

If ya can - buy american.

• Blaz'n Grill Works.
  • Smokin' Brothers.
  • Cookshack.
  • Yoder Smokers.
  • MAK Grills.

HI Rec Te has some rally good pellet smokers..
The REC TEC Grill is made in China, however, the heart and soul of the grill (the computer) is made here in the USA. The powder coat is also made in the USA and the final assembly along with quality control takes place at the REC TEC Grill facility in Georgia.**
DanB

MAK...

That is all...

If it is the us built version, I would just rebuild it. That said, I just added another license plate to my oldest Traeger patching a hole, haha

Another question to add to the list of questions ...

Do want vertical or horizontal?

Depends, do you want it to look like a smoker or a gasser? If gasser, get a MAK. If smoker, get a Rec Tec. Or if you want a good smoker for a decent price, get a Pit Boss.

appliancedude
Giving opinions to another of the brethren is difficult because of the wide array of background, experience, and tolerance for spending a buck. Since you've driven a Traeger till the wheels are falling off, you obviously have a good background with pellet poopers (at least one anyway) so we don't have to scale that fence.

If you were my neighbor we'd have to talk about budget first and foremost. Then, are there things about your existing Traeger you don't like or would like to see improved? Third, has anything caught your eye already?

If you enjoyed what you have, Traeger makes some pretty danged nice units today. Of course there's the wide array of mid-market units. Then the high end stuff tops it all off. All of them basically put smoke on meat.

We tend to buy what we "want". I can vote for my Yoder, but, I have no idea if it fits any of your criteria. Come on over, we'll sit on the patio and talk about it til we come to a conclusion. We could even smoke some ribs while we're doing it.

I love my Rec-Tec 590 so far and everyone rants about their customer service if you ever have a problem . I get the same flavor profile as my stick burner with it using the right pellets and shocked me since I have using stick burners my whole life but pleased with my purchase .

Back