Anyone cooking just turkey breast this Tday?

I've had really good success with whole boneless netted breasts. Brine/rub..smoke for a while, then pan/wrap with some broth. Slice and serve.

I like it better than a whole turkey.

For whatever reason, just the opposite for chicken. I love a whole smoked chicken.

9d8cb1f7971574a792674862ecfa62d3.jpg
304c6e4b24c9b6cb7f6e01b0b71b8b18.jpg

Going to try turkey on the smoker for the 1st time. I'm assuming it's pretty much like smoking chicken, 325-250. What's the consensus favorite seasonings around here? Yardbird rub?

I've never tried my hand at smoking turkey, but was thinking about trying a breast this year on the performer. (The FIL usually does fried turkey, so that should still be available in case my first try turns out where only I will eat it haha.) The statements on cutting up a whole bird and cooking breast and thighs/legs separately to have some dark meat has me rethinking just the breast... For those of you who do this, should i put all the meat on the kettle at the same time, or would i have to stagger start times?

I was thinking either burn down oak to coals and feed that, or kinsford blue minion with maybe a cherry hunk or two. I have oak, cherry, hickory and pecan but know poultry doesnt need much. I feel that i have limited real estate in there, do i need to do any type of heat deflector? I was thinking brine (if i can get my act together), but most stuff around here has probably been enhanced...

I've been playing around with smoked whole turkeys, spatchocked and just breasts over the last few years. I can never get whole turkey to turn out exactly the way I want it. Spatchocked works much better but I'm always left with 95% of the dark meat as no one but me eats it.

The last few times I've done only the breasts and it allows me to make them to perfection. I start with a whole butterball (or whomever) turkey and cut off the the rib cage leaving just breasts attached. I brine for 8 hrs in a holiday herb brine, pull out, rinse, dry, and place back in fridge for a couple hrs uncovered to dry out skin. Place a bunch of herbed butter under the skin and set breasts in an elevated roasting pan with a few apple slices/onion and some stock in the bottom to add moisture. Smoke/roast with lump charcoal and a few pieces of your fav mild wood. Cook at 325 to get crisply skin. I baste with pan juices until skin gets enough color then tent with tinfoil. Pull at 160, loosely cover and rest for as long as it takes to make the gravy with the juices in bottom of the pan.

Enjoy!

I know this is wasting all the dark meat from the turkey but it's much cheaper to buy whole turkey than just breasts. Plus I do use the giblets and some of the dark to make a stock to add to the gravy.

Back