Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

It's been 8 weeks since I placed my order, still waiting on the email saying that the build has started. I haven't been able to sleep at night. My mind is not on my work. The wife and kids keep telling me to stop pacing back and forth. How did all of you folks that came before me survive? :wacko:

It's been 8 weeks since I placed my order, still waiting on the email saying that the build has started. I haven't been able to sleep at night. My mind is not on my work. The wife and kids keep telling me to stop pacing back and forth. How did all of you folks that came before me survive? :wacko:

Woah, you have issues! None of us can relate to you... sorry [emoji849]

I bought a Shirley. You short-timers are hilarious. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think for me it was exactly 8 weeks and 6 days before my fab started, I ordered April 2nd and my mini arrived at my house June 24th (shipped to Illinois). We ordered at a bad time, I think Chris is backed up pretty bad right now.

Reviving an oldie but goodie.

I recently bought a used PeeWee and I LOVE it, just not quite big enough.

Looking for a full size or mini.

Located in DFW.

To add to this fine thread I ordered a Mini this morning on a reversed comp cart. I started to buy one 4 years ago but couldn't swing so I bought something else and kind of glad I didn't since now they have the cart to put them on. Nothing else special except the heat diverter and a cover. Ought to have it by Christmas but it maybe a little bit after the first of the year. No big deal though at least it isn't a 14 month wait like it was when I ordered my Shirley. LOL.

To add to this fine thread I ordered a Mini this morning on a reversed comp cart. I started to buy one 4 years ago but couldn't swing so I bought something else and kind of glad I didn't since now they have the cart to put them on. Nothing else special except the heat diverter and a cover. Ought to have it by Christmas but it maybe a little bit after the first of the year. No big deal though at least it isn't a 14 month wait like it was when I ordered my Shirley. LOL.

Congrats, you are going to love it.

The Mini is a fine cooker. Looking forward to hearing about your cooks. Congrats!

I recently received my large IVS, I just have a couple questions.
1) being a charcoal smoker, it seems that your constantly burning fresh charcoal, I can’t get a nice light blue smoke out of the stack. I feel like I’m gonna get charcoal taste in my food. It’s gotta be me because I don’t see anyone else talking about it. Do I need to make ajustments ?
2). Heat Defectors: when to use? I pretty much leave it in all the time because it is a pain to put in and take out. A nice slide in and out would be nice. I used water once in the water tray, it steamed my ribs and washed my rub off, so I don’t use water anymore.

Thanks for the help

I recently received my large IVS, I just have a couple questions.

1) being a charcoal smoker, it seems that your constantly burning fresh charcoal, I can’t get a nice light blue smoke out of the stack. I feel like I’m gonna get charcoal taste in my food. It’s gotta be me because I don’t see anyone else talking about it. Do I need to make ajustments ?

2). Heat Defectors: when to use? I pretty much leave it in all the time because it is a pain to put in and take out. A nice slide in and out would be nice. I used water once in the water tray, it steamed my ribs and washed my rub off, so I don’t use water anymore.

Thanks for the help
The smoke will not be as clear as a stick burner. I would recommend using a good quality charcoal, but it doesn't make a huge difference. You also get some darker smoke color from the water or drippings steaming. I would be more concerned about the smell of the smoke and not the color. If it smells like an ash tray, make adjustments. I do like running my exhaust more open than he recommends too.

I cook with water. I do like to try and have the water run dry towards the end of the cook. Did you wrap your ribs?

Leave the heat deflector in. No need to take it out.

Thanks Kaptain Kadian, I’ll play around with the exhaust. When using the fan with my FireBoard, should I leave the ball valve open all the way or close it about half way to maintain a constant low temperature?

Thanks Kaptain Kadian, I’ll play around with the exhaust. When using the fan with my FireBoard, should I leave the ball valve open all the way or close it about half way to maintain a constant low temperature?

I open mine all the way but you have to have your fireboard fan with the inlet facing down, there is a gate damper on the fan that will automatically close when the fan shuts off. I did not know this the first time I ran the cooker and it ran away on me a bit before I could bring it back down

I run a guru, no help with the fireboard. I have posted a pretty detailed cooking process that I use with my lsg that has given me really good results if you want to look through this thread. Good luck.

New LSG Mini

Thank you all for such informative posts. Helped me to decide on the LSG Mini. Had it for a week now and so glad. Smoked a 10 lb pork butt, 20 7-8 oz smoked sockeye salmon fillets to great mouthwatering success. Next up will be two spatchcocked 18lb turkeys.

I am brand new to smoking and you all gave such great advice that really reduced my startup time and learning curve. Can't imagine a pork butt being so good on my first try. Can't wait until I grow into the full capabilities of the Mini.

Haven't been fully able to maintain steady temperatures as yet but I think the pictures on page 147 showing the plate setup will be quite beneficial in solving that issue going forward. Am using the Fireboard with fan control.

Let me say that the LSG Mini arrived in beautiful condition, exceeded my expectations, and Chris and the LSG staff were truly excellent to work with. A 600lb smoker on standard wheels rolls and maneuvers so easily on our paver patio and walk way. I could not be more pleased.

My wife uses our Mak pellet grill (which we love BTW). We find it hard to maintain steady temperatures when the wind is blowing (and it blows here quite a bit). Also a bit limited in amount of food we can grill/smoke but it does things (grill) that the Mini doesn't. On the other hand, the Mini gives us a lot more food capability and seems impervious to the wind. My wife was a bit jealous when the pork butt in the Mini, my first ever smoking effort, turned out better than hers in the past. Actually, I think she enjoys me taking over that chore.

Again thank you all for such great advice, so much appreciated. If anyone is looking for a great smoker, the LSG Mini is proving to be a great choice.

Wtb, lsg ivs?

Don't know if this is the right place to ask!

I'm looking for a used LSG IVS, I'm in Texas! I've read this thread and love it!

I have a LSG Offset 24x40 and enjoy it but tired of baby sitting all night long on long smokes! I am selling it and will used the money for the IVS!

Anyone selling or know anyone selling or wanting to trade for an LSG IVS, please let me know!

Thanks for any response!

ADMIN if this is the wrong spot for this please move it or let me know, Much thanks,

Michael in San Antonio!

Don't know if this is the right place to ask!
I'm looking for a used LSG IVS, I'm in Texas! I've read this thread and love it!
I have a LSG Offset 24x40 and enjoy it but tired of baby sitting all night long on long smokes! I am selling it and will used the money for the IVS!
Anyone selling or know anyone selling or wanting to trade for an LSG IVS, please let me know!
Thanks for any response!
Michael in San Antonio!

List yours here and search here also.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Bottom left corner of page. You may select how far back you want to look.
There is one for sale right now

Last edited:
Thank you all for such informative posts. Helped me to decide on the LSG Mini. Had it for a week now and so glad. Smoked a 10 lb pork butt, 20 7-8 oz smoked sockeye salmon fillets to great mouthwatering success. Next up will be two spatchcocked 18lb turkeys.

I am brand new to smoking and you all gave such great advice that really reduced my startup time and learning curve. Can't imagine a pork butt being so good on my first try. Can't wait until I grow into the full capabilities of the Mini.

Haven't been fully able to maintain steady temperatures as yet but I think the pictures on page 147 showing the plate setup will be quite beneficial in solving that issue going forward. Am using the Fireboard with fan control.

Let me say that the LSG Mini arrived in beautiful condition, exceeded my expectations, and Chris and the LSG staff were truly excellent to work with. A 600lb smoker on standard wheels rolls and maneuvers so easily on our paver patio and walk way. I could not be more pleased.

My wife uses our Mak pellet grill (which we love BTW). We find it hard to maintain steady temperatures when the wind is blowing (and it blows here quite a bit). Also a bit limited in amount of food we can grill/smoke but it does things (grill) that the Mini doesn't. On the other hand, the Mini gives us a lot more food capability and seems impervious to the wind. My wife was a bit jealous when the pork butt in the Mini, my first ever smoking effort, turned out better than hers in the past. Actually, I think she enjoys me taking over that chore.

Again thank you all for such great advice, so much appreciated. If anyone is looking for a great smoker, the LSG Mini is proving to be a great choice.

Hey brother so glad you're enjoying it I got my large in october and the thing is a beast. I have smoked in 20 degree weather and even in snow already and the thing purrs along. I have had some issues with it overshooting with my guru and the damper settings chris recommends but I have been able to overcome that with a few strategic methods. I am waiting on a grill cover at the moment that is being made. These things are awesome and so is this thread lets keep it alive.

I have a couple questions for those of you who revisit this thread. Is this smoker (mini or large) portable enough to use in competitions? I know they are extremely heavy so I was wondering. Also, what is the capacity for the mini and large? Would you recommend the off-road package if needing to roll on grass? Thanks.

I have a couple questions for those of you who revisit this thread. Is this smoker (mini or large) portable enough to use in competitions? I know they are extremely heavy so I was wondering. Also, what is the capacity for the mini and large? Would you recommend the off-road package if needing to roll on grass? Thanks.
I have taken my large to competitions. It is heavy, but not that hard to get on a trailer. I took 4th out of 85 teams in brisket with it. I don't have the tie down hooks either. I did upgrade to the bigger casters after a couple of years of having it. They are nice.

You could do like Kaptain Kadian says about going to upgraded wheels.
Or go to HF and buy 8 of the same size wheels that would come on said unit. Some new longer bolts/nuts/washers and you have dual (or triple) wheels per corner. The larger foot print and spreading of the load does make a difference. Also stabilizes the unit much better.
Just a thought.

Back