Fire-Grilled Armenian Style BBQ Lamb Lollipop Chops

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ever since I discovered Armenian style BBQ(which is really a form of grilling), it’s been my go-to method of cooking lamb loin chops. You can read more about the method HERE, which includes details on seasoning etc.

We had 4 racks in the chest freezer from a Costco run a while back, so I pulled out one of the larger ones, let it thaw, and then cut it up into single portions. I prefer this method than cooking the rack whole, as there’s more meat surface to season, and each chop is cooked individually.

Chops were first dipped in lemon juice, then seasoned on both sides:

UKMNDib.jpg

ElGIoRH.jpg

First started cooking indirect on the kettle:

vfOtqiM.jpg

After the first flip:

O7AMGas.jpg

Now time to cook direct:

fJCsAKu.jpg

Turned the chops bone side towards the fire to cook down some of the fat:

Sgt1U3W.jpg

Just before I pulled them:

gzJR6Fl.jpg

Hot off the grill:

WHxtdo8.jpg

Plated, with some rice.

CtKmxyJ.jpg

Chops were delicious!

Thanks for lookin'!

Looks delish.
I've never done the lamb rib (lollipop) chops, which are usually very expensive.
But we sometimes buy the loin (T-bone) chops.
Maybe we'll have to splurge and try the rib chops sometime. Your's look great.

They look great! I noticed you didn't mention the flipity flip flip method when moved to direct heat cooking. Does that mean the Lollipop chops were not 3/4" thick? I would hate to improperly infer anything, like tong clicking for example. :grin:

They look great! I noticed you didn't mention the flipity flip flip method when moved to direct heat cooking. Does that mean the Lollipop chops were not 3/4" thick? I would hate to improperly infer anything, like tong clicking for example. :grin:

I did some flipping when the meat was on the hot side, but didn't count the flips, and the chops were about 1/2 inch thick.

I really think the fleaking technique only works with 3/4 inch choice or better ribeyes, with 3 different seasoning rubs, using super hot KB briquettes 2-3 inches from the cooking grate one one side on a 90's green Weber kettle. At least that's what the science seems to indicate so far...:mrgreen:

NICE,,,,
there’s a video out there some where that chronicles the different styles of grilling around the world. Netflix maybe
There was a spot for Armenian style grilling,,,,Khorovats
Big family affair !!!!

NICE,,,,
there’s a video out there some where that chronicles the different styles of grilling around the world. Netflix maybe
There was a spot for Armenian style grilling,,,,Khorovats
Big family affair !!!!

Not sure I've seen that, but there's this video where a bunch of meat and such gets cooked in a Tonir, somewhat of an Armenian Tandoori oven:

https://youtu.be/1YTPl6aCwYs

Hard to beat it once you get hooked on it Richard. Looking great!

:becky::becky::becky:

We do this quite often. Traditional way is the tonir aka tandoori but usually grill over live fire with skewers. Tonir (tandoori) is awesome but not everyone has it. I'm thinking of building one in the backyard though. Been thinking about it actually.

ehoiatOh.jpg

Gvs94RLh.jpg

CwgOa5nh.jpg

IN8BzC9h.jpg

Usually a family affair on Saturday or Sunday

RHVEKFsh.jpg

Moose those looks delicious. I've been meaning to try an Armenian recipe that uses onion water as the marinade.

Hard to beat it once you get hooked on it Richard. Looking great!

:becky::becky::becky:

We do this quite often. Traditional way is the tonir aka tandoori but usually grill over live fire with skewers. Tonir (tandoori) is awesome but not everyone has it. I'm thinking of building one in the backyard though. Been thinking about it actually.

Please do it, Sako. We'll be cheering you on every step of the way!

:clap2:

Moose those looks delicious. I've been meaning to try an Armenian recipe that uses onion water as the marinade.

Don't want to hijack Moose's thread but thinly sliced onions work really well also for flavor and tenderizing. A few hours is perfect though you can leave it longer. On beef, pork, lamb and chicken

eSyvWrOl.jpg

0OfMSwSl.jpg

@ssv3 have you ever tried using ur PBC jr as a tandoori/ tonir ?
I was just looking at tandoori and tonirs and it might be a possible cheap alternative.
No lid !

@ssv3 have you ever tried using ur PBC jr as a tandoori/ tonir ?
I was just looking at tandoori and tonirs and it might be a possible cheap alternative.
No lid !

I have Don. With pretty good results actually. Even in my Hunsaker.

20130805_194052.jpg

llDMD7vh.jpg

h2ukkd9h.jpg

B7wkgpdh.jpg

4JVTgaBh.jpg

Even taters

20130816_171451.jpg

20130816_195727_3_bestshot.jpg

vK3cQDRh.jpg

Last edited:
Back