This is a spin on the traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu

Ingredients

• 14 pieces of bacon
  • 4 slices of thick cut deli ham
  • 8 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
  • 4 slices provolone cheese or Swiss
  • 2 boneless chicken breast slit in half

Preparation

• Fillet 2 breast and pound till thin with the flat side of a mallet.
  • Layout a bacon weave
  • Place 2 halves of one breast on the bacon and brush with Dijon mustard, add ham on top followed by provolone, repeat with another layer.
  • Roll bacon up and place seam side down.
  • Smoke for 2.5 - 3 hours, cool and slice in ½" slices.
*NOTE: Chicken breasts and bacon varies in shape and sizes, this recipe is an approximate, just do your best to be able to roll up the fattie without leaving a gap.

*NOTE: Traditionally, Chicken Cordon Bleu is made with Swiss Cheese.

*Tip, this can be smoked then wrapped in a pizza dough and baked just like the Philly Cheesesteak Fattie, sort of like a "Hot Pocket", yes I am working on a cordon bleu hot pocket recipe.
*Tip, these can be made in advance, wrapped in foil and smoked later.

This was a fairly decent recipe, however not one of my favorite Fatties. The bacon overpowered the other ingredients but had a great texture.
The saving grace for this Fattie was my Smoked Pineapple Bacon Chutney.

I used thick bacon because there was 6 lbs of it in the refrigerator, I would suggest using thin bacon, if thick is all you got, layout the pieces and push firmly with your fingertips in the center working outwards this swill thin it out and give you some more length, note picture #4, the top five pieces are stretched and the lowest piece is normal size.

My first Chicken Cordon Bleu Fattie was so thick, I had to trim off some of the inside ingredients, just to get a good seam, note picture #16 and #17. In hindsight I should have tried rolling the bacon weave out like dough.
My second Cordon Bleu Fattie I only used one half breast, 3 pieces of ham and 2 of provolone, note pictures #18 #19 and #20

If you make this I would strongly suggest a sauce or something to top it with.

Make sure to lay out the chicken and bacon weave the best you can, you will loose a good amount of cheese on this, I would guess I lost at least half the cheese.

The next time I make this I am going to spread the Dijon on the chicken, then a layer of cheese, then the three pieces of ham followed by cheese again and fold the sides of the ham in over the cheese then roll, hopefully I won't loose as much cheese.
Another thing I may try is a thin layer ground chicken on top of the bacon, followed by the rest of the ingredients.

As usual I jumped the gun on this as well, the "Chicken Cordon Bleu Fattie" was so much better after a rest and reheat, this is just another one of those recipes that taste better after resting, it appears the flavors blended a bit bet after the rest. The "Chicken Spinoccoli Fattie" was the same reheated as it was when it was pulled from the smoker
One good thing about a recipe like this, is that you can make several at a time and Vacuum Seal and reheat at a later date.

looks awesome, i will be doing this someday
ive actually thought of it before but still hae yet to get around to it

ill skip the mustard tho

Temperature and time?

My wife saw this and wants me to make them for a supper this Sunday. INSISTED is putting it mildly.

Black Forest shaved ham. Thin slice light smoked maple bacon. Swiss cheese. A good no name Dijon I like. One per person and they can take home any leftovers.

I am tending toward making them early and then at supper time just giving a reheat in the microwave, or should I cook on Saturday and do the reheat Sunday. Thoughts on that?

Temperature and time?

My wife saw this and wants me to make them for a supper this Sunday. INSISTED is putting it mildly.

Black Forest shaved ham. Thin slice light smoked maple bacon. Swiss cheese. A good no name Dijon I like. One per person and they can take home any leftovers.

I am tending toward making them early and then at supper time just giving a reheat in the microwave, or should I cook on Saturday and do the reheat Sunday. Thoughts on that?

Sorry I missed this

225° - 250° 2.5 hrs, thick bacon
Need to try and trap the cheese better I lost more than half the cheese on this smoke.

That look almost undiscribable, but I'll try:becky:

OMG that's what I call crazy good eats, nice job!:thumb:

Well I did it and it worked.

220 - 225 for 2.5 hours. Then 5 minutes on the gasser to firm up the bacon. Which might have been a bit much. I used light maple bacon thin sliced. Shaved honed ham and provalone. Only one sprung a leak.

I'd post the few pictures I have but I can't seem to get them to attach. I don't remember how and after 15 minutes I'm too frustrated to continue looking.

You can see them at http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/QuietOne1/Chciken Cordon Bleu Fattie/

There really needs to be a sticky JUST for attaching pictures so one doesn't have to go digging through everything. I don't do it often enough to remember and it is way to frustrating to try and find the directions every time

Back