Any tips on Brisket Flat?

noles2g

Knows what a fatty is.
I ended up with a Costco CAB flat that is on the smaller side that was purchased by mistake..
I was wondering if you do Flats do you inject with something ( I never have) and or does it make sense to “Boat it” or just run naked then wrap with BP or foil after 165?

Cooking on a KJ
Thanks in advance !

I inject for competition but usually don't bother at home. If you want to inject, try mixing some of your rub into some beef broth or use a commercial beef injection if you have some.

My process for brisket is as follows...

1. Rub at least an hour before and let it sit to allow the rub to absorb moisture from the neat and hyfrate
2. Put it on the cooker fat cap down (I used drums and cooked at 300) and cook until the bark is the color that I prefer (dark mahogony)
3. Wrap in foil with some rub and beef stock and continue to cook until the thickest part of the flat is probe tender.
4. Vent the foil to stop the cooking, close it up, and rest for at least an hour.

I inject for competition but usually don't bother at home. If you want to inject, try mixing some of your rub into some beef broth or use a commercial beef injection if you have some.

My process for brisket is as follows...

1. Rub at least an hour before and let it sit to allow the rub to absorb moisture from the neat and hyfrate
2. Put it on the cooker fat cap down (I used drums and cooked at 300) and cook until the bark is the color that I prefer (dark mahogony)
3. Wrap in foil with some rub and beef stock and continue to cook until the thickest part of the flat is probe tender.
4. Vent the foil to stop the cooking, close it up, and rest for at least an hour.

Thank you Ron!

Best tip is - Leave it connected to the point…….

I dont get this myth that its better to leave it connected. There is very little flat that is covered by the point. I usually chop it off right where the point ends and there is still a little bit of both because most people like that section, but to really cook a brisket to perfection if not using a holding oven, its best to seperate and pull the flat so it doesn't get dried out before the point is done.

I dont get this myth that its better to leave it connected. There is very little flat that is covered by the point. I usually chop it off right where the point ends and there is still a little bit of both because most people like that section, but to really cook a brisket to perfection if not using a holding oven, its best to seperate and pull the flat so it doesn't get dried out before the point is done.

Explain this please. I am far from a brisket expert, but everything I have ever read says you judge doneness based upon the thickest part of the flat. Whenever the flat is done the point will be ready too.

Explain this please. I am far from a brisket expert, but everything I have ever read says you judge doneness based upon the thickest part of the flat. Whenever the flat is done the point will be ready too.

I like to go by temp and then hold at lower temp till collagen renders. I shoot for 185F in the thickest part of the flat (if both point and flat connected) then hold at 150F for 12-18 hours wrapped. I usually don't bother probing the point this way. If i separate them before cooking i will pull the flat at 185F and hold at 150F and pull the point at 190F and hold at 150F.

I love flats. Lots of ways to do it. The easiest for me is to start low to get smoke on it and increase temp ending around 275f. No wrap, spray with water every hour once the bark is set. Pull at probe temp or around 203 in the middle. Hold for as long as possible.

Have never boated a brisket but want to try it.

Back