Actually Had a Chance to Cook

Cook

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Filled the WSM with RO, two small fist sized chunks of pecan & one of oak, and got the coals going around 10pm last night. By 10:30 I had the top grate filled with three butts and one picnic (because that's what I had). Pit temp was just above 200 when I got the meat on. I closed two intakes, and left one 1/2 open...the water pan has 8 paver bricks in it & covered with foil.

I seasoned the pork with nothing but salt...North Carolina-style was the objective.

I went to bed after that. I have no need to worry about my 22.5 WSM. I just set the intakes and forget about it. The next time I saw the pit was about 6:30 this morning.

The dome temp was about 240 & there was still a decent glow in the coals. I probed the meat and took the smallest butt off (it was probably around 7.5#). Double wrapped in foil, wrapped in a beach towel, and coolered it. I opened the one intake all the way and left for about two hours.

When I came back the pit was running at 250, and the remaining meat was ready. Double wrapped in foil and left on the counter for a couple of hours. When ready, I separated & chopped, seasoned with a touch more salt, and seasoned with Scott's (vinegar) barbecue sauce. I ended up using the whole bottle of Scott's on what would have been around 40# of meat (pre-cook weight).

I also threw the skin from the picnic in a 350 oven while I chopped. After 20-30 minutes I removed the skin and let it cool (and crisp).

Plated with a little Texas Pete & sprinkled with some of the chopped up skin. It was...shall we say...fittin'.

Last edited:
Nice!....If you're a fan of Texas Pete, try the Cha sauce.....beats the heck out of regular Sriracha!

Nice!....If you're a fan of Texas Pete, try the Cha sauce.....beats the heck out of regular Sriracha!

Many people don't like Texas Pete...but it is magical on Eastern NC barbecue.

I will, however, look for the Cha sauce. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Gorgeous plate of food.

That meal is very reminiscent of my ENC BBQ meals growing up. Slaw & Texas Pete right there, too.

Cook,

You can order all of Texas Pete's sauces online. We go through Cha like a bottle every couple weeks so we order quite a bit.....

How are you using the hot sauce in your que? As part of your sauce or straight on it?

Cook,

You can order all of Texas Pete's sauces online. We go through Cha like a bottle every couple weeks so we order quite a bit.....

How are you using the hot sauce in your que? As part of your sauce or straight on it?

After Googling it I believe I have seen that Cha bottle in stores around somewhere...imma check it out!

I always season the chopped pork with vinegar sauce...i will use the Texas Pete at the table just a little at a time. I season with the vinegar just too the point of being able to taste it. Contrary to popular belief, vinegar based bbq should not be vinegary. A little Pete at the table just about perfects it.

After Googling it I believe I have seen that Cha bottle in stores around somewhere...imma check it out!

I always season the chopped pork with vinegar sauce...i will use the Texas Pete at the table just a little at a time. I season with the vinegar just too the point of being able to taste it. Contrary to popular belief, vinegar based bbq should not be vinegary. A little Pete at the table just about perfects it.
You should try Swamp Boys Bootleg Red, gives you the tang and a little kick.

Cook, that looks awesome. I'm really glad you went back and picked up the cook shot. That color is outa site. Remember your good SC friends, Mt. Pleasant ain't all that far.

Back