MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:11 PM   #1
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Default Holding Burgers

Hey, Everyone!

I've been asked to cook burgers for a high school team dinner of about 50. It would work best for me to cook them at home and bring them to the dinner. Do any of you have "secrets" for panning the patties so they don't dry out? Just aus jus? Do you have a secret liquid that you're willing to share? I'll probably have everything on low in a roaster pan. I just feel like things could dry out if I'm not careful.

Thanks!

Pat
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I don't have catering experience which is what/where you are asking, but some backyard experience for parties....

Does your roaster have enough room in it for (and do you have) one of those grilling screens you can place in the bottom to keep the burgers out of the au jus/water?

My pans I have used for parties are just the bunson burner warmers and I was trying to keep the burgers out of direct contact with the liquid and/our direct heat from the burners.

No secret au jus as I don't cater and this was only a family party or two.

Hopefully you get a better answer from those that know.

Good luck to you!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #3
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-Chicago View Post
I don't have catering experience which is what/where you are asking, but some backyard experience for parties....
I have access to a couple of roasters, so I'd think that's enough, but you raise a really good question! I was thinking if I had the right aus jus that maybe it wouldn't be bad if the bottom layer was resting in it(?). I've got some time to figure out a plan, but I want to start talking about it with you experts! Thanks for your time.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 06:58 PM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm not a caterer either, but have been volunteered many, many times to help out on large cooks or serving large crowds. For one customer in particular, we would cook around 50 patties at a time on a cabinet smoker and for hot holding we used Nesco brand roasters. We bought the patties from Sam's Club that had little perforations and were actually designed to grill from a semi-frozen state.

So, using a cabinet smoker (below) it would take about 45 minutes per batch (turning once), and they bought foil grill toppers (like for fish or veggies) which I trimmed down to fit the roaster upside down to keep the patties just above the hot juice. For the steaming liquid underneath I used Minor's Au Jus base cut with water. 1/2 gallon was plenty to keep the roasters primed. The same drill worked for brats, only I used a butter/beer/hot sauce liquid.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by thirdeye; 04-19-2023 at 08:07 PM..
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 09:50 PM   #5
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

Your idea to cook at home is sound. Just double seal the patties in ziplocks as soon as they've cooled enough to not melt the plastic and cover in towels in a cooler. They won't dry out. Most people don't expect food in such a setting to be 'hot off the grill' anyway. Nor will they be disappointed if the buns aren't toasted and hot. Pack the lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on ice to keep them crisp. You WILL be thanked just for doing the work.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:13 AM   #6
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I've used beef tallow before. I got the idea from Mimsy's Barbecue in Crockett, TX. They smoke their burgers and hold them in tallow until ordered then give them a flame kiss and serve. You could also use a flat top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiOZ32F0MWc
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->