Frozen butts

Az porky

Name or Nickame
Gary
How long will it take two 9 pound butts to unthaw in Frig. When should l take them out of the freezer,I need to serve them on 12-01-18.

Thanks!

Agree with above. I tried to rush the thaw one time and ended up "trying" to smoke a half frozen Pork Butt...it didn't go well.

My fridge must be set too cold...there is no way a pork butt would be thawed in three days for me.

Last one I thawed 2 weeks ago set in my thawing fridge for 3days and when I put them the smoker the middle was still at 29°. I keep the Friday’s at 35°.

You can cook em frozen too, unless you want to inject them. I did a couple frozen ones this past Saturday, one 7 & one 8#. 11 hours on the heat and I was good to go. They sat out long enough to get the surface sticky to hold my seasonings, but for all intents and purposes - frozen solid.

My Fridge is 'warmer' in front an coldest in back - where the beer is.
Lowest shelf in back is the coldest.
Top front, not so cold. Learn your tools, man.

I havent tried smoking frozen butts yet, but i have smoked frozen ribs, brisket, and short rib plates. (on purpose) i either stick the probe in before freezing, or drill a 1/8 inch hole when frozen to insert a probe. Trick is to run hot for an hour to get a nice "start" on a bark, then run low and slow till it hits target temp.

I havent tried smoking frozen butts yet, but i have smoked frozen ribs, brisket, and short rib plates. (on purpose) i either stick the probe in before freezing, or drill a 1/8 inch hole when frozen to insert a probe. Trick is to run hot for an hour to get a nice "start" on a bark, then run low and slow till it hits target temp.

Drill a hole to insert a temp probe? That's some next level dedication to tracking temp.

Drill a hole to insert a temp probe? That's some next level dedication to tracking temp.

Make sure you hit that bit with a blow torch till it glows red and when it turns cobalt blue its ready for surgery.
Also, set your drill speed to 1 and if you have a drill that you can control speed by the trigger, best to go low and slow.

Make sure you hit that bit with a blow torch till it glows red and when it turns cobalt blue its ready for surgery.
Also, set your drill speed to 1 and if you have a drill that you can control speed by the trigger, best to go low and slow.

Why ruin the temper of a drill bit by getting it that hot?

I didn't do a good job of asking my question - what is the purpose of of getting the bit that hot?

I will admit to having a certain fascination with heating metal to red hot, probably learned while watching my Grandad work at the forge and anvil.

Why take up all that space in the refrigerator waiting for days? I almost always thaw mine in a sink/cooler full of water.

I didn't do a good job of asking my question - what is the purpose of of getting the bit that hot?

I will admit to having a certain fascination with heating metal to red hot, probably learned while watching my Grandad work at the forge and anvil.

Sterilization. And to burn off any residue/oil.

Why take up all that space in the refrigerator waiting for days? I almost always thaw mine in a sink/cooler full of water.

When you freeze meat, there is cellular damage, and you will lose some moisture. The quicker you freeze it, the less damage is done. Also thawing slowly gives the meat time to reabsorb some of the moisture lost. You can absolutely do a quick thaw, but for best results, slow is better.

When you freeze meat, there is cellular damage, and you will lose some moisture. The quicker you freeze it, the less damage is done. Also thawing slowly gives the meat time to reabsorb some of the moisture lost. You can absolutely do a quick thaw, but for best results, slow is better.

While i agree with freezing causing damage, I have to call Bull doodoo on quick thaw causing more moisture loss the slow thawing. I have thawed plenty of cryovac meats and i have never noticed more liquids in the quick thawed bag vs slow thawed bags.

Back