MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #31
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Picked up a Rocky's Sampler from New Braunfels Smoke house before the replies came in and just received it. Will cook some up momentarily when the wife gets home. Need to see what ones she wants to try since she's cooking tonight. Usually eat a Hillshire Farm with new potatoes once a week so we'll see. Will definitely try southside market next. Went with these since they had a cheap variety pack. Opa's will be on the list soon too! Thanks for all the replies!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #32
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
I popped into Kreuz last Sunday after the Texas Bash. Was quite disappointed, sausage was kind of mealy and very greasy, brisket was dry, but the beef clod was off the hook.

Only place I had decent sausage from a que joint was at Cooper's in downtown Austin. Louie Mueller's sausage was probably the worst of the bunch, rubbery skin and dry, dry, dry...

The sausage that sleebus.jones brought to the bash was great. But being a Polak, it still didn't have enough garlic.
This may be why I can't understand the fascination with "Texas sausage". Because that is what I've found when I've tried sausage brought back from Texas. I expect sausage to be moist, instead of greasy, and flavorful.
And German sausage, which I understand is the origin of the recipes found in Texas, is easily available here in Michigan, and is superior to the "Texas sausage" I've had.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #33
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Well it's ok. Still not as good as I had. Will keep trying! Thanks again for all the suggestions!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!

Old 11-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #34
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Texas and sausage?

I thought Texas was all about any beef and the brisket.

Just razzing.........

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #35
Ylouder
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Maybe you forgot this is a thread about Texas sausage?

As dadsr4 said, there's way too many good sausages out there to limit oneselves to a single brand.
I have tried dozens of brands of sausage from all over the country. I have spend probably close to 700 dollars in trying different brands (purchasing online) that members recommended . I have also taken many trips to texas for vacation and brought back a variety of brands.

NONE of them are as good as Conecuh.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #36
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylouder View Post
I have tried dozens of brands of sausage from all over the country. I have spend probably close to 700 dollars in trying different brands (purchasing online) that members recommended . I have also taken many trips to texas for vacation and brought back a variety of brands.

That's saying a LOT!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #37
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylouder View Post

Anytime I've had shipped sausages that I've also had the fresh version of, fresh is better. Maybe you should check out local sources for fresh sausages.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #38
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
Texas and sausage?

I thought Texas was all about any beef and the brisket.

Just razzing.........
Honestly, while everyone says Texas BBQ is all about brisket and beef, i find that the reality is that Texas BBQ is "whatever you want as long as it's meat".
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #39
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
Honestly, while everyone says Texas BBQ is all about brisket and beef, i find that the reality is that Texas BBQ is "whatever you want as long as it's meat".
That sums it up very well. Texas is a pretty big state and there's lots of variation between regions. "Legends of Texas Barbecue" by Robb Walsh is an excellent cookbook that covers the history and regional differences of BBQ in Texas.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #40
LYU370

I've got a GREAT place in the Chicago area that Chicago Bill turned me on to. I'd just have to figure out how to ship it to you. Let me look into that...

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #41
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
I popped into Kreuz last Sunday after the Texas Bash. Was quite disappointed, sausage was kind of mealy and very greasy, brisket was dry, but the beef clod was off the hook.

Only place I had decent sausage from a que joint was at Cooper's in downtown Austin. Louie Mueller's sausage was probably the worst of the bunch, rubbery skin and dry, dry, dry...

The sausage that sleebus.jones brought to the bash was great. But being a Polak, it still didn't have enough garlic.
Andy, Bellville (Poffenberger's) sausage never disappoints.

I have found your observations to be a common fault with just about every sausage I've had on the Central Texas BBQ trail. Basically like a loose pile of ground beef in a tough casing. I never did find one from one of the BBQ joints that I liked. They were all terrible. All were cooked to the point to where all the fat was drained out of them and then the bind completely broke down.

Dozier's (right down the street from me ~4 miles) has good sausage, and I think they ship. Haven't had that "meatbag" experience with them. Bellville meat market (the one I brought) is also excellent. Honestly, all of the "famous" bbq spots I went to left me unimpressed.

LYU370, I too have a love of garlic. If you're into making your own sausage, I've got a great recipe I can share.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #42
LYU370

Yep, was rather disappointed with the sausages, I made sure to try the brisket & sausage at each place I stopped. Mixed results all around. I'd love to see your garlic sausage recipe. So far this is one of my favorites, although I add more garlic. Although, every one of Len's recipes I've tried has been good.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Garlic-Fresh.pdf

Len Poli's Sausage Recipes

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #43
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Just tried the Apple Wurst sausages from the New Braunfels variety pack. Very different but nice! Has apple sauce, nutmeg, and other spices. Definitely not traditional, but very pleasing! Definitely will be getting more for the holidays. Talked with the wife and think we didn't cook it enough the first time to help bring out the flavor. She sliced it and cooked it with the taters. When the cheddar started to melt she pulled it since she didn't want to lose the cheese.

These tonight were grilled indirectly for 25 minutes. That did wonders for the texture and opened up the flavor. Can't wait to try the other 3 flavors. Will give some feed back on them when I try them.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #44
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
I'd love to see your garlic sausage recipe.
Andy, I completely blanked on your request. Here's the thread with the recipe and technique: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=242074

I know you love the garlic, but give 'er a go as is one time and see what you think. :)
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #45
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Tried the Tex Mex sausages tonight. Man that's what I was looking for! They were great. I will definitely grab a Rocky's Sampler for the family get together this Christmas Eve. Thanks again for the suggestions, I will definitely work my way through them. I can recommend the Rocky's Sampler from New Braunfels Smoke house. Now the apple wurst may not be for everyone, but to me it is a great departure from traditional sausages. I think it might be a better breakfast sausage than a had a bad day and a few beers sausage, but still a good eat!