Briquettes or lump

bschoen

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Which do you prefer in a weber kettle briqs or lump?

BobCQ has probably already done a poll, but I am lazy. Look how I spelled BobCQ...

I prefer lump over briqs and the kettle is no exception. Less smoke at start up and way less ash during clean up. Only pressed or molded coal I like is the B&B competition char logs.

7cncr8th.jpg

Lump, unless I can ever find any more Weber briquettes.

I prefer lump over briqs and the kettle is no exception. Less smoke at start up and way less ash during clean up. Only pressed or molded coal I like is the B&B competition char logs.

7cncr8th.jpg

I can definitely agree with this, B&B char-logs is a great product.

My lighting system is mapp torch 100% of the time so for that reason in the kettle I use briquettes.
I have ruined enough shirts lighting lump in the Primo.

Anymore I use lump in my kettle 100% of the time. I do keep briquettes around too in a pinch. I like briquettes as base coals when cooking over the fire pit. Lump isn't practical or efficient in that situation.

Briquettes all around for me. I couldn't get use to the temp swings with lump. And I have recently found Stubb's again, rebranded as Cowboy. Tractor Supply has it for $7.99 a bag.

Lump ONLY in any cooking vessel except my offset,then I start the coal bed with lump and add wood spits after that.B&B since Ozark Oak went by the wayside.

I use lump especially for grilling, and I have the kettle divided with fire bricks for direct / indirect heat zones.

Jealous Devil lump in my Humphrey's cabinet for smoking, Royal Oak Chef's Select briquettes in the Meadow Creek BBQ 42 for chicken, and B&B comp briquettes in the PK grill for steaks.

I use both depending on what and how I'm cooking.

For longer indirect grilling cooks with larger pieces of meat, I'll use both. For shorter grill cooks, I'll use all lump as I want really hot temps.

If I'm smoking in a charcoal cooker(Weber, UDS etc), I'll use briquettes as I want a steady, even burn.

I used to like the lump better, but found I had a little more even heat with the briqs. And now even with a fan/controller I've just stuck with the briqs.

I only like lump for grilling a steak Its too inconsistent and fast burning to use for slow cooking or anything where I want control - in my opinion.

I use both, but usually briquettes. I use either Weber or Kingsford Competition. I found some Blues Hog lump and really like that. Jealous Devil is good too, but very expensive. I can't stand Royal Oak.....too inconsistent.

Lump 98% of the time.

The few times I do use briqs over the course of a year, I'm always amazed at the smoke at start up, the longer time to wait for it to be ready to cook, and its ridiculous amount of ash.

However, I do miss those Weber briqs. :p

Back