Beef back ribs, shrimp, and steaks on open fire

edmonds

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Beef back ribs cooked on open fire for 1.5-2 hours at about 300-350F, according to hand thermometer. The grate was lowered to sear the ribs, and then some shrimp and tenderloin steaks added to grate.
The swinging/rotating grate can be raised and lowered, facilitating slow and even cooking over live fire, as well as searing.
The fire (red oak) was allowed to burn down for 1.5 hours, coals raked out, then small splits of wood added to maintain a small cooking fire.

Attachments

• P1030727.jpg
    P1030727.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 153
  • P1030741.jpg
    P1030741.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 155
  • P1030746.jpg
    P1030746.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 154
  • P1030751.jpg
    P1030751.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 152
  • P1030752.jpg
    P1030752.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 154
Love this style of cooking. Great job

Your on top of it alright. Most fun style of cooking and maybe the best results too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice rig to cook on. Looks similar to the California "Santa Maria" grills I've seen.

Thanks, everyone.
I really like using a rotating grill with height adjustment for slow cooking over an open fire. The wood doesn't burn in an oxygen constrained environment like in a lot of smokers, which seems to impart a different (better?) smokey flavor. But of course it is more difficult to control cooking temperature with a live fire.

BTW, I did submit a picture to the live fire throwdown, which is currently going on. I had some better pictures but they aren't in the TD's time frame. Go there and vote.

Love this style of cooking. Great job

Lookin good. Seriously love the setup :thumb:

Your on top of it alright. Most fun style of cooking and maybe the best results too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice rig to cook on. Looks similar to the California "Santa Maria" grills I've seen.

Very nice. Liked the cooking method

The results show that you have a successful set-up there. Everything looked cooked to perfection!

Back