MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy
Default Confused watching Pork Butt Youtube videos

So I need help with an explanation. All of the videos I've watched on Youtube of Pork Butt cooks leave me confused. While shredding/pulling their pork I can't remember seeing any separate the fat out. I have cooked quite a few butts a variety of different ways and have no clue at all how they would it that way. I take an extensive amount of time separating the fat (now I even trim my fat cap all the way down to have less fat to separate). If I eat a sandwich and taste a lump of fat it's disgusting. So do they edit out that part of the process or do some of you do it the same exact way?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Properly cooked, the fat will melt like butter and provide great flavor
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Pork when properly done has a very small (less than 1/2 cup) amount of fat left unrendered, it gets chopped into the rest at my house.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

The fat should fully render and melt if you do a good trim. However the internal membranes WILL NOT melt out during cooking and I take my time to remove all of those when I'm pulling the meat. You can get around this by trimming off all the membranes prior to cooking (which is what I do for a competition pork butt), yet I don't do this when I'm cooking 16 butts at a time.

YouTube vides are great but not all people in them are honest all the time. In some videos it's OBVIOUS that the meat is dry, chewy, and tough but the host will still talk about how it's "fall apart tender." They'll take a big bite and chew on it like it's a pencil eraser and still tell the camera how much flavor it has and how it "melts in your mouth."

A lot of these people will edit out certain parts or flat out not even eat their own product. Not everyone cleans their pork properly and most people are used to getting those bits of membrane in with their chopped pork. I take the extra minute or 2 and remove all of that while I'm pulling the meat apart and I think my customers appreciate it.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #5
thirdeye

Agree that there won't be much internal fat that gets tossed, but I might have some external fat which I sacrificed as a heat shield that I remove. When breaking down a butt I do watch out for veins (pretty rare), bone slivers, and glands (very rare). That said the last butt I prepped for grinding had 2 vein pieces about 1" long and some blade bone chips.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #6
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Agree that there won't be much internal fat that gets tossed, but I might have some external fat which I sacrificed as a heat shield that I remove. When breaking down a butt I do watch out for veins (pretty rare), bone slivers, and glands (very rare). That said the last butt I prepped for grinding had 2 vein pieces about 1" long and some blade bone chips.
Yeah and there's that little piece of gristle that I discard!
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

I will pretty much pre-trim most of the junk out prior to cooking to keep from having to go back and remove it after cooking. About the only real amount of fat I will leave on is the bottom cap, but that's mostly because I love to eat the strands of lean that run through it.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
Hawklaw
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : T

I can't imagine life without delicious pork fat.

Just another perspective.
Hawklaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Same here. I don't trim much off of a pork butt but I do pay very close attention when pulling it and end up with a decent amount of fat to throw away. A bite of fat is just gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
So I need help with an explanation. All of the videos I've watched on Youtube of Pork Butt cooks leave me confused. While shredding/pulling their pork I can't remember seeing any separate the fat out. I have cooked quite a few butts a variety of different ways and have no clue at all how they would it that way. I take an extensive amount of time separating the fat (now I even trim my fat cap all the way down to have less fat to separate). If I eat a sandwich and taste a lump of fat it's disgusting. So do they edit out that part of the process or do some of you do it the same exact way?
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #10
16Adams

I’m cooking my last Creekstone Duroc Pork Shoulder in the next day or two. I shall pay closer attention. It was from an order of 4 many months ago.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #11
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I am with you. I am pretty anal about picking out any junk while pulling. I do know some who just chop most of that in with their final product . I used to do a heavy precook trim now I just do it while pulling. Just seems faster to me and have gotten zero negative feedback

Old 01-15-2021, 06:12 AM   #12
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

The fat should melt away and will help enhance the flavor of the meat while also helping add in moist meat.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #13
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

I am guessing I may just be a little pickier about the fat in pork. I don't compare it to brisket fat at all. I love brisket fat, but at the same time I don't like too much fat on my brisket slices either. Maybe it's just the difference in my preference.

It's like cooking whole hog. I've seen people who cook whole hog and won't debone it in advance, they won't pull fat or anything out. So I guess different strokes different folks.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #14
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I never trim pork butts and never have issues with fat. If I see a hunk while pulling it, I just throw it to the side. In my YouTube videos I never talk about this as I just assumed that is what folks would do if they came across a piece of fat they don't want. Maybe I should address that in my next video.

I'm also honest in my videos, if I stink it up you will know. My favorite hunting show is Meateater because he too will film a full episode and not shoot a thing. I like the honesty, more real that way.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #15
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I ALWAYS remove excessive fat when I pull/shred. I'm especially careful with globs of fat when cooking competitions. There will be excessive internal fat in spots even with a properly cooked and rendered butt IMHO.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.