The BIG BUTT experiment test: *** 5 Hours and complete.....SUCCESS!***

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
In a couple weeks I'm cooking for a block party so I have to do lots of cooking and part of the cook is pulled pork so I'm planning on hanging 4 butts in my jimmy cooker which is a close to a WSM 18" size.

My plan "If" this works is to hang the butts start to finish on the hooks with no pulling and foiling like you do in the PBC. It'll go pretty high heat....Today I think i lit to much charcoal for just 1 butt, the cooker skyrocket up fast and is hanging at 425*. I'll try to settle it in about 350*

This burn will be doing a side to side, the basket is loaded up with KBB and large apple chunks from a local orchard.

The butt I'm trying to support it with multiple hooks with 1 laddered. If that doesn't work i'll ladder more on the real cook doing all 4. There's no chance in falling in the fire because i have a grate with my SS holy diffuser on it... (safety net)

I went ahead and trimmed off most of the fat cap to get more bark....figured there is no fat cap up or down so why have much of one.

Thanks for checking it out. I'll do updated pics later in the day. It should be a fast cook with the temps this thing is doing.

No need for open vents

Last edited:
Ah a PBJ "Pit Barrell Jimmy"

LOL, yea PB&J :laugh:

Looks like it's gonna be a way way hot & fast cook because i can't get the temps down. She's sitting at 450* because i lit too much and it's still getting enough air from the top. The good thing is if this works is all 4 butts will cook pretty even because you can tell the heat is spinning like crazy judging by the exhaust around the lid.

That's cool. I'm curious about how long they will take and how much smoke they take on.

That's cool. I'm curious about how long they will take and how much smoke they take on.
YUP me too, I wouldn't be surprised if this is done by 2 PM. It's loaded with big chunks so it should take on plenty the whole cook.

Don't forget that having 4 large butts in there will put more of a load on the cooker and probably help keep your temps down.

Don't forget that having 4 large butts in there will put more of a load on the cooker and probably help keep your temps down.
That's what I was thinking, I'll probably light the same amount then because that's alot more cold meat....about 36 lbs

She's settling in about 425* so

I did a 400-425 range cook once for fun and the butt took about 4hrs and turned out great. I did foil it so will be interesting to see how it goes without if you don't. Lots of bark I'd guess :p. Hopefully not burn

I did a 400-425 range cook once for fun and the butt took about 4hrs and turned out great. I did foil it so will be interesting to see how it goes without if you don't. Lots of bark I'd guess :p. Hopefully not burn

Just gave it the first bottom air in the cook 3 1/2 in ...just opened a ball valve and she's @ 405. The first 3 hours were at least 425-450 and zero signs of burning so looks like it'll be good.

why not do 4 at once in the 007 machine?
LOL, I have other plans for that...spinning some wings and hanging corn on the cob...like 25 ears or so.

Jimmy needs to be used for this because it cooks nice hot and steady temps...plus has the safety net.

Here's a pic almost 4 hours in ...peaking in through the gap. You can see some bubbling goodness coming out the top!

LOL, I have other plans for that...spinning some wings and hanging corn on the cob...like 25 ears or so.

Jimmy needs to be used for this because it cooks nice hot and steady temps...plus has the safety net.

Here's a pic almost 4 hours in ...peaking in through the gap. You can see some bubbling goodness coming out the top!

I like the sneaky peek...

4 hours in ....have no idea what the IT is but i'll check it in a while.

4 1/2 mark it's at 187 IT so I think i'm just going to go ahead and pull it at the 5 hour mark because i see the bone pulling away.

5 hours and the butt is done! Good good good... that means i don't have t wake up as early on my big cook! :biggrin1: It held GREAT so no worries doing 4

Here's the final pics before i pull it in a while.

Who needs a PBC when you have a Jimmy! :wink:

Pull pics coming in a bit

Back