Green Mtn. Daniel Boone Owners.........

A Weber kettle would be simpler.:-D
Yes this is true and I have one of those too, which isn't going anywhere because I love to cook on it just as much as anything else I have. Well maybe a MGrills M1 would make me let it go because I'd have a stick burner and charcoal grill too, but then I don't know what I'd do with my awesome Vortex. :crazy:

Well, we are gonna do a little experiment this weekend. My daughter just stopped and got the trailer keys for the lake place. So far so good, but that 32yr old has never cooked on a kettle.:shock:

I did send her a bag of competition briquets, told her that would be easier than the lump that's down there. Told her how to use a chimney and lighter cubes, she's on her own.....

Smitty, I think I've figured out why pellet grills are getting popular.....dang rookies.:doh:

You can't really do a proper sear on any that I have looked into. Some have a plate you can slide over to expose the flame and they claim that can sear but I have yet to see one that goes over 600 degrees. That is still not high enough to sear in my opinion.

Huh?

I use a DC in SCA comps and have gotten calls … it can definitely grill, but some pellet cookers can't.

ZIz0Oxrl.jpg

That is still high heat but not grilling, IMO. I can get the temp too, but it is still not truly direct heat like a grill. I have a kettle for that. :)

A big +1 for using a kettle for grilling. Use my pellet pooper for smoking and baking. Use them both for reverse sear. Great combo IMHO.

I can grill a few steaks on mine at 1 time but dont want to run it wide open,have ran it up to 550 with no problems,grill marks mean nothing to me where as a even char is what i'm after.it's like making a rue,lite-dark its all good and you pick what you like,for more than 3 I will use the Weber performer or the Weber gasser if time is important,I put 4 country style ribs on my PB yesterday when I came in from work,seasoned on 1 side shut the lid for 10 minutes then came back flipped and done the 2nd side. 30-40 minutes latter they were done perfectly and no baby setting or waiting at 350,very versatile imo

That is still high heat but not grilling, IMO. I can get the temp too, but it is still not truly direct heat like a grill. I have a kettle for that. :)

With grill grates absorbing that high heat it is direct grilling … the majority of my heat is coming direct from those grates versus indirect from the ambient air temperature.

With grill grates absorbing that high heat it is direct grilling … the majority of my heat is coming direct from those grates versus indirect from the ambient air temperature.

I wasn't basing it on any add-on equipment like the grill grates. I guess it depends on your definition of grilling too. The grill grate method is similar to cast iron but with marks. When I thin of grilling, I think of flame to meat at least at some point during the cook. Great thing is either way tastes excellent and I have no doubt yours taste fantastic.

I Like Flame Kissed Steaks.......
That's the thing for me, too. I want just the hint of char on my beef that only the juices hitting the coals can give. That's why, to me, cooking a steak or a hamburger on a griddle or a CI pan is a waste of a good piece of meat. I eat fewer steaks and hamburgers because of that, though.

Well, we are gonna do a little experiment this weekend. My daughter just stopped and got the trailer keys for the lake place. So far so good, but that 32yr old has never cooked on a kettle.:shock:

I did send her a bag of competition briquets, told her that would be easier than the lump that's down there. Told her how to use a chimney and lighter cubes, she's on her own.....

Smitty, I think I've figured out why pellet grills are getting popular.....dang rookies.:doh:

My faith in the younger generation has grown.:mrgreen:

Nobody ended up with food poisoning, or they may have thought it was just part of a hangover.:thumb:

Back