• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sold out

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Been rather bored so so was reading Yelp reviews on Texas BBQ restaurants last night.
The SOLD OUT sign that goes up between 2-3pm?
I’ve never given it much thought. There are some really vocal people not fond of that business model. On the other hand I learned of a new cut of meat -

Smoked Wagyu Bologna

Onward thru the fog

PS: could not find one menu selling Fattys. Miracle any of them are still open.

Smoked Wagyu Bologna- would like to see that
I like the idea of the Fatties Adams I bet you would not be happy when you compared to yours

For a small business BBQ joint, getting up and starting at 4AM, 2-3 for a closing time seems OK to me...

I can understand both sides of it. Good BBQ is ready when it's ready, and is best when it's fresh and not sitting around for hours and getting reheated. On the other hand, I work a standard day job, Monday-Friday. The only opportunity I would have to go to some of these BBQ places is on the weekend. And for many people like me, dinner is traditionally the big family meal of the day, not lunch.

Some people may not be fond of that business model but if they are selling out by 2-3pm I'd say they are doing something right. Get there earlier or stay mad.:grin:

Can't always have what you want when you want. If they don't like that business model they should go to Famous Dave's and get reheated bbq. Plenty of places, even in Tx, that serve reheated bbq.

Nothing worse than reheated BBQ that has been held in a steamer wrapped in saran wrap, taken out and sliced in front of you....yuck. As ynotfehc said, there are plenty of places in TX that do that and the BBQ is terrible - compared to "fresh"

Nothing worse than reheated BBQ that has been held in a steamer wrapped in saran wrap, taken out and sliced in front of you....yuck. As ynotfehc said, there are plenty of places in TX that do that and the BBQ is terrible - compared to "fresh"

When they do it that way, it holds moisture! I have had dry, and flavorless BBQ. That is worse!

The irony is that I'm pretty sure Aaron Franklin's briskets are done early and held for many hours before serving. It's not like the first people in line are getting the first brisket off the pits and the last people are getting briskets that just came off 30 mins before.

You can only get so much meat on a smoker and it doesn't cook quickly. Most restaurants can store a large amount of food and cook it on demand. BBQ joints can't cook on demand.

I don't have a problem with the places that are up front and open about closing when they sell out. If a place has set hours and stays open for the duration, though, they need to manage their operation better if they consistently run short.

There's a hole in the wall place out on the edge of town where I used to live that is only open Friday/Saturday/Sunday, and only until they sell out. The food is really good. I think if I were going to run a 'que joint that'd be how I do it. Work 3 really long days and take the other 4 "off". No need to figure out how to keep a steady flow of food going from 10AM - 10PM.

I would bet the majority of the "bad food" reviews we see here are probably due to trouble holding (overcooking/drying out) or improperly forecasting demand (reheating food). Seems like cooking enough to meet a large demand but still sell out would reduce the risk of those things happening - minimize the holding time required or the need to stagger multiple runs of food to meet lunch and dinner service and everything in between for a full menu.

I am in a hotel in the Hocking Hills. Right next door is the local bbq joint. Three big what I assume are smokers i can see from my room and not a wisp coming out of them. Not eating there.

The trick is not overcooking it.I never let my briskets probe higher then 185F If you don't overcook it, you can hold it for many,many,many hours. Why do you think some people have better results when they let their brisket "rest" in a insulated cooler for 2-4 hours.

Let me clarify something. If you were stalled at 185F and you jumped from 185F to 205F in less then an hour, then rested in a insulated cooler, you might be ok, but if you stalled between 185F to 205F for 2-3 hours, yeah your brisket is dry and crumbly.

In high school, I worked in the kitchen of a place known for the best ribs around. People literally drove for miles for these ribs.
We cooked every other weekend, the ribs went into the walk in and were nuked for service. The best around. :roll:
The place is long gone, but I wish I could try them today. I bet they wouldn't stack up to what comes out of my back yard.

Nothin wrong with that "Until sold out" business model.
Unless you are one too far back in line.... :cry:
In that case, just get your butt there earlier.

This ain't fast food.
This is food that goes fast. :rolleyes:

We tried a new Dickie's BBQ Joint in town here.
I can assure you we won't make that mistake again.
Yeah, it was that bad.

I'd much rather spend the money on a chunk of meat and que it myself. Better, fresher results.
Not much left over from my Grandpa's ribfests.
Except I over buy and freeze a couple of racks for later when we get a hankerin. Works perfectly for me.

Back