Any easy hot wing recipes?

I personally don’t like traditional Buffalo wing sauces on grilled or smoked wings. I just don’t like how the sauce flavor interacts with the char or smoked flavor. Too much going on. I prefer that on fried as the Buffalo sauce is the dominant flavor and doesn’t have to compete with the bitterness of char. A friend of my brother used to make a sweet and spicy bourbon sauce that was really tasty. I tossed some grilled wings today in an herbed garlic butter and they were awesome. Now garlic butter and the char of grilled wings is about perfect. Season the wings with a spicy rub then toss them in garlic butter when you take off the pit and you have something good

I am really wondering if this may have something to do with it. I have loved some of the bbq wings I have done, but hot/buffalo wings I nor my wife have really cared for. I am going to work on one of these recipes and use it one smoked/grilled wings and fried wings and see if that may be the problem.

Joedy, I tend to agree that just tossing in a traditional buffalo after grilling is kind of meh...

What my son and I like is to make the traditional buffalo sauce (franks, butter, garlic, worch sauce), then add a touch of brown sugar to it to soften the sharp edges of the sauce. As the wings are grilling and getting near done, we dunk in the sauce and back on the grill. We do this 2-3 times. I really enjoy that.......

I am really wondering if this may have something to do with it. I have loved some of the bbq wings I have done, but hot/buffalo wings I nor my wife have really cared for. I am going to work on one of these recipes and use it one smoked/grilled wings and fried wings and see if that may be the problem.

Maybe. I have had grilled wings at restaurants and every time they try to mimmick the original buffalo or even a hot nashville, it just misses the mark because the char flavor competes or just gets in the way. That is why I leave those flavors exclusively to fried chicken. Which is awesome.

It is the same reason I don't add smoked meat to chili.

Another sauce I love on smoked wings is Alabama white sauce. Toss them in it when you pull the wings off of the pit and it is really great. I mix a cup each of mayo and apple cider vinegar and add a couple tablespoons of course black pepper, a couple tbs lemon juice and whatever else I feel like. Generally I will add garlic powder, fresh or dried herbs (love tarragon in this), horseradish etc. Oh, yeah, some cayenne works here too. A bit messy though.

1 part Frank's original
1 part butter (cut into small pieces)

Heat Frank's in a double boiler.
Add cold butter one piece at a time, stirring, until you get a smooth emulsion.

If you do this in a pan you risk getting the mixture too hot which will make the butter separate or "break" and produce a gritty or granular texture. Keep the temp low and you will get a smooth wing sauce.

Add cayenne powder for more heat.

This is about as authentic a Buffalo sauce as you can make.

If the sauce "breaks" later, put it in a blender and it will usually smooth out again.

Jalapeno pepper jelly? What is this yummy goodness I have never heard of? What grocery stores do you find it at?
It should be readily available at most, if not all grocery stores - look in the same area as the other jams and jellys. Sometimes you see green, but go for the red pepper jelly. Because who wants green wings...

And although you can mix it with any bbq sauce, seriously, don't dismiss the Bullseye. There's something amazing that happens to it when it cooks down. The mix of the two is more than the sum.

I don't make these often enough, but when I do it's always in the oven. Might have to try it in the smoker one of these days. Ridiculously good! Although I don't cook them as long and I use parchment paper instead of foil.

Heroin Wings Yes they are that addictive!

That recipe does sound good. thanks. G

Great thread as I'm looking forward to wings tonight and am out of habanero death dust. Gonna try some of the ideas here to mix it up.

I am not sure if this is what you want, but years ago we used A bottle of Frank's, a melted stick of butter, a bottle of garlic juice and a bottle of onion juice.

Personally, I like Habanero Death dust. Also some nashville hotsauce is tasty with some extra hotsauce

Back