Reverse sear on pellet grill

eric21

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have some prime sirloins to cook tonight, and want to try them on the MAK which I haven't done before. I was thinking of leaving them on smoke mode until they reach 110 internal or so, take them out, push the grill up to max temp then finish them. But a few questions with this method:

What do you do with the steaks while you wait for the temp to come up? I'm thinking if I wrap them in foil they'll lose a good amount of liquid?

Has anyone tried this method, is it any good? What is your process?

The other option is smoke them on the MAK and heat the charcoal grill at the same time, and sear them on charcoal.

plan A works rest under a loose foil tent while the temp comes up

I usually roll with plan B

I do them the first way on my SmokeFire all the time. I just pull them, toss them on a plate/platter and cover the plate in foil. Usually fairly tightly because it's usually breezy here and I don't take them inside to wait for the grill to get to temp (at least not when the weather is decent outside). I don't notice a lot of juice on the plate. There is some, but I guess I've just equated most of it to what's going to come out when you pull the probes out.

Either plan will work well. Only difference is the MAK will have to get up to searing temps (assuming) and the charcoal can already be lit on standby ready to sear.

I Don’t know anything about the pellet grill you have. I can only say my Treager does not get hot enough to do what you want. It was not designed to do that. Plan C?

Red hot lump. Flaming cherry chunk. Forward sear all sides of prime sirloin. Move to indirect with lid on til desired temp. Kettle all the way for the win!

Attachments

• F8339499-79FB-44CD-8D4B-D80EDACB40B5.jpg
    F8339499-79FB-44CD-8D4B-D80EDACB40B5.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 90
Love doing reverse sears with my MAK!! That said, my preference is to have 2 cookers. The MAK running low n slow and a screaming hot heat source right next to it. More often than not, I’ll take the protein up to 100°ish on the MAK and then scoot them over for a quick sear... and when done I return them to the MAK to slowly continue to climb til done. I find this method greatly reduces my chance of overshooting my desired IT :)

Here’s a couple of recent tri tips using this method...

7bfee5be2b915cad35dd38819bf22c92.jpg

I like steak with or without a char, your seasonings dont get the flavor burnt off if you dont char, its amazing how much flavor goes up in smoke.

Good idea, rwalters, I think I'll do that.

Mike - I only use salt and pepper anyway. Sometimes just salt, and pepper after it's done cooking.

How big are your steaks?

Plan C

Fill your charcoal chimney half-full (hope you have the large one) and light it. When it's ready, place a rack across the top and, as you pull each steak off the smoker, sear it on the chimney - they should only take a minute or two each to sear - rest them on a plate covered with foil.

Update - I smoked them at 180 for ~1 hr until they were at about 90 degrees, then seared them on charcoal. I had 4 huge steaks so I did 2 on the direct heat, 2 indirect, rotating on and off. They came out really nice, very nice smoke flavor and very tender.

After I took the steaks off the smoker I upped it to 350 and swapped the asparagus I had on the charcoal grill into the pellet, and then used the upper rack to warm some bread as well. Great stuff!

A little late to the party but, I have used the Alton Brown (modified) method and has worked well.
1) Season steak on both sides with the salt and place on a rack set inside a sheet pan. Refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours, or up to 16 hours.
2) Heat oven to 200ºF. smoker
3) Insert a probe thermometer horizontally through the side of the steak and roast the steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 120ºF, about 30 minutes.
4) Remove steak from the oven and rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until it reaches at least 600ºF, about 10 minutes. You'll know you're close when 1/2 teaspoon water dropped in the middle of the pan is completely evaporated in 5 seconds. Crank teh masterbuilt 560 way up, have used chimney with grate too
6) Brush a very light coat of peanut oil onto both sides of the steak.
7) Sear steak on each side for 1 minute.
8) Rest the steak on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and then slice diagonally, against the grain, to serve. Yup

Back