MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
NickyDeuce
Found some matches.

Post Chuck Roast on PBC

So I have 2-3 lb chuck roast that I would like to cook on the Pit Barrel Cooker tonight... My question is, should I use a little less charcoal? I'm only planning on bringing the meat to around 120-125... Pulling it and wrapping in foil until it comes to around 140. Its just really hard to justify using 8 lbs of coals... I should note I'm not planning on using any smoke (I know), just coals...
NickyDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

If I have a shorter cook for the PBC I put less charcoal in the ring. Works great.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I would advise you to use a full basked regardless of the amount of the meat or time of the cook. It just doesn't perform well with less filled basket of charcoal. You can always snuff out the charcoal to save it.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I gather that at an IT of 140* you plan on slicing it? It won't be pullable by then. I don't have a PBC, so can't comment on the best use. SSV3 has experience there. I'd go with his wisdom...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

I just did a chickie on my pbc with a full basket ... wrapped at 175 ... actually tossed in a pan for psb and added a stout. Let it roll for another hour ... tried the fork twist method for being done ... wouldn't twirl so re-covered and let it go for another hour ... then it passed the fork test... and I pulled and chowed down..... so all in all ... I think you'll have to cook it a bit longer to pull ... forget the temp ... just fork it !!!
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
pitt5050
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Did you guys hang the chuck or use the grates? I assume grates. I am planning on doing a few this weekend on my PBC
pitt5050 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

I always hang all cuts until 160ish and lay it on the grates past that If it needs to go higher.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #8
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I gather that at an IT of 140* you plan on slicing it?
I'm curious about this myself.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #9
bigpernz
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah that chuckie needs to be cooked fully or it's gonna be a tough S.O.B. take it to 160ish then wrap till probe tender. Full load of coals.
bigpernz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #10
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
I would advise you to use a full basked regardless of the amount of the meat or time of the cook. It just doesn't perform well with less filled basket of charcoal. You can always snuff out the charcoal to save it.

Really? I wonder why that is?

I did an almost 7 hr cook a couple weeks ago and about 3/4 of the coal was gone but it was still holding temps fine. Seems starting with less would be the same......Not disagreeing with you just trying to figure out why it wouldn't perform well with less to start?

To the OP, if you do need to start with a full basket, you can shut down the PBC with magnets, or put the coal basket in a weber (or similar) and close all the vents. That's what I do. That way you can save whatever coal doesn't burn if you want.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #11
Fwismoker

I would go way less charcoal...probably add wood and cook it medium mellow temps whether be slice or pull.

Use the grate and put foil under the chuckie. Trust me this method will do well.

Edit check that ... use minion method with regular amount of charcoal and do it like^^^^^

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #12
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
I would go way less charcoal...probably add wood and cook it medium mellow temps whether be slice or pull.

Use the grate and put foil under the chuckie. Trust me this method will do well.

Edit check that ... use minion method with regular amount of charcoal and do it like^^^^^
Or follow the instructions that Noah post for pork butts: Full basket, hang until good bark, then wrap until you reach your desired level of tenderness. Last time I made a chuck roast it was not tender enough to pull, but the slices were great and I also did some chopped. Like a poor man's brisket!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #13
Bob C Cue

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Really? I wonder why that is?

I did an almost 7 hr cook a couple weeks ago and about 3/4 of the coal was gone but it was still holding temps fine. Seems starting with less would be the same......Not disagreeing with you just trying to figure out why it wouldn't perform well with less to start?

To the OP, if you do need to start with a full basket, you can shut down the PBC with magnets, or put the coal basket in a weber (or similar) and close all the vents. That's what I do. That way you can save whatever coal doesn't burn if you want.
+1 on moving your basket to the Weber. That's what I did tonight. Did not want to mess with the magnets as I was afraid they might scratch up the new porcelain coating!!!!!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].

Old 05-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #14
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Or follow the instructions that Noah post for pork butts: Full basket, hang until good bark, then wrap until you reach your desired level of tenderness. Last time I made a chuck roast it was not tender enough to pull, but the slices were great and I also did some chopped. Like a poor man's brisket!

Noah could add some additional methods for his own cooker if he knew them...nothing against him but Yes his machine could do so much more in terms of methods and a couple changes to the drum....not changing the general appearance of it but functionality.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #15
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Noah could add some additional methods for his own cooker if he knew them...nothing against him but Yes his machine could do so much more in terms of methods and a couple changes to the drum....not changing the general appearance of it but functionality.
No real need to try different methods or modify the design when the food turns out great every time. Remember he is selling something that works for the masses who have never made good Q, and it works for pros like Mr. Dawson without having to do any fiddeling or mods.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Tags
chuck roast, PBC