MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
Ps1474
Found some matches.

Exclamation Cooker/Smoker for Volunteer Fire Dept.

Greetings!

I've been delegated the task of picking out a cooker for my Vol. Fire Dept to use for our bi-annual BBQ fund-raiser as I'm the guy in charge of said event, and the only one with catering/BBQ experience.

We have been borrowing a Carolina Cooker (CC) to cook the meat but I have never been super happy with the results. Ive taken to using a "smoke pot" (a 12 quart dutch oven with a layer of charcoal with chucks of wood on top) with the CC to give the meat smoke flavor. And it works fairly well but I don't get near the results I do using my UDS or Webber Kettle with the snake method.

Here is what we need in a smoker/cooker.

1.) Easy to use. These are a bunch of Volunteers that have no real experience cooking large amounts of meat. I do, but I'll have to teach them how to use what ever cooker we get.

2.) Our Budget is $3k.

3.) Each event requires we cook about 20-30 butts over 2 days. So I would like to be able to cook 15 butts at once. Also I would love to expand the menu to include Brisket. So say 10 butts, and 2-3 Briskets - if we go that route.

Some of my fellow fire fighter want to get something that can grill hamburgers too, but at this point (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think we can get a unit that can do both well within our budget.
Also some on the Department want something that can do a whole hog. But again, I'm not sure we can get a unit that fits the criteria for $3k.

Currently I'm leaning toward getting a Humphreys DownEast Beast and a couple large grills for burger duty. But I'm very open to suggestions!

Thanks for y'alls input!!
Ps1474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I would say an insulated cabinet smoker would be your best bet. There are a lot of companies out there. Here is a humphreys that would meet your needs, as an example.
https://www.humphreysbbq.com/product...downeast-beast
I would check into several companies, give them a call. You might be able to get special pricing, since it is for a fire department. Grills are cheap. I would get something like this for your grilling needs. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old...hoCgSMQAvD_BwE

YOu should be alble to swing both for $3k, if you do your shopping correctly.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

2-3 UDS(s) and a Weber 26” Kettle or 2. ......A 2 grate UDS could do 8 Butts at a Time.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:59 AM   #4
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

DEB only holds 8 large butts. Not close to 15.

10 meatloafs

Like Smitty said, 4 butts per/uds, easy

You already know how/what a UDS can do.
Whole hog, just build a cinderblock pit/grate for those times you need.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 04:00 AM   #5
keeperofsecrets
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ringo

The "A1 competition smoker" from Custom Pits (just outside Athens, GA) is a stick burner that you can cook 8+ butts and a few packers on and it has a direct fire charcoal grill on the end. The one I have also has a fish fryer on it. You would have to teach them about managing temps on a stick burner, but the unit meets your flex needs on a budget. Oh, and it is on a trailer.

A-1 Competition Smoker
48x48 open wood grill
72x48 open wood grill/smoker/pig roaster
Sam's 8-burner gas Event Grill w/griddle drop-in
Blackstone Range Top Combo Grill
keeperofsecrets is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Gorilla Fabrications makes the perfect cooker for you : a "whole hog" style cooker that has a firebox for charcoal / wood, and also comes setup for propane so you can grill. I use mine almost everyday when I vend a BBQ lunch. I've done a 100Lb pig on it with no problems and there was a ton of room to spare. I also do a lot of "smoke roasting" where I'll have the firebox going with some wood and the propane going to get the temps to 400°. This gives me incredible flavors that have both a smoke flavor but also that grilled / charred flavor.

The cost is right at $2k and they are a hell of a group of hard working guys.

www.gorillafabrication.com

Here's the ~100Lb pig I did for Memorial Day earlier this year and you can see there is a ton more room for a much bigger pig. I also took out the top rack for this cook, so just know there's usually another rack in there for more cooking space.

Good luck with whatever you choose but this is a great cooker that is easy to use and checks every box you discussed.

Last edited by SmoothBoarBBQ; 11-16-2018 at 09:34 AM..
SmoothBoarBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2018, 05:11 AM   #7
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Former volunteer firefighter here (and hopefully future, once I get settled in to this new location). I read this post and had the following thoughts:

Simple - pellet grill. Put pellets in, turn it on, set the temp. Done.
Durable - it needs to be bullet proof. Firefighters are EXTREMELY good at breaking things.
Versatile - needs to be able to smoke or grill.
Easy to Use - related to "Simple" but here for a reason. Needs to be usable by someone following the steps outlined in no more than four or five sentences.

A couple initial thoughts: Yoder 1500 if you can talk them into a VFD discount - big, built like a tank. Can grill or smoke. A couple of RecTec Rt700's - Great prices. A little smaller, but you could easily stay under budget with two. Solid reputation.

The guys and gals that volunteer to risk their lives to save others are a unique breed. They can come from all walks of life. Hard working, salt of the earth. Hearts of solid gold. And they can do things like deliver babies or unzip a crumpled car like you open a can of soup. Whatever we suggest, we also need to remember - the reason they need this is as a means to an end - making food for the public a couple of times a year. They'll probably use this for themselves a few times a year as well. The KISS principle is a great thing to keep in mind when dealing with firefighters and EMS folks.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #8
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

I can't offer much advice regarding the smoker itself, but if you also want to be able to grill up some burgers and hot dogs, then you can't go wrong with a Weber kettle or two for cheap.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
Ps1474
Found some matches.

The A1 Comp Cooker and the Unit from Gorilla Fabrication have peeked my interest.

The Humphreys site says one can fit around 16 butts on it, is that not the case?

Keep the suggestions coming and Thanks !
Ps1474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #10
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

If you can swing another $500... that Gorilla "The Woodman Trailer" looks LEGIT and would cover all needs.

rb

Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

A Meadow Creek pig roaster might work for you.

https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catal...l-pig-roaster/
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
pharp
Banned

I cooked 10 butts on my pint regularly with no problem.

This is their newest offering and it will be the next one I buy. Should keep you well under budget and allow for a nice grill.

https://www.humphreysbbq.com/collect...iday-weekender
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I'd probably lean toward a pellet smoker (or two smaller ones). Add pellets, plug it in, turn dial and walk away. Stick burners have a learning curve that some members of your cadre might not have the patience for. Most fireman I know, including my cousin, are good at putting out fires but suck at keeping them lit!

Beyond the pellet cookers, get some cheap Weber's off of craigslist or spring for some new 26's. You can decent get coupons for Lowe's online and couple that with their occasional promotion for 10% off with the My Lowes Card. You could essentially get 3 for the price of 2.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

I recommend against a pellet smoker, too many hands around that like playing with fire.

I'll add a vote to Weber kettles for grilling.
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #15
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjman View Post
I recommend against a pellet smoker, too many hands around that like playing with fire.

Seriously?

With that logic, what do you think they'll do with any cooker that has a firebox? Might as well get a few large convection oven's and cook them inside!
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote