MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

Default Relative humidity inside RF cooker?

Hi all,

This "dry bulb" and "wet bulb" temperature thing is pretty new to me. I constructed a wet bulb thermometer and compared the readings between dry and wet on my self-made RF smoker.

It seems to run pretty low on relative humidity, around 10-20%. Does anyone know what is considered a normal humidity inside a typical RF smoker? I was running mine hot & fast at 300 F.

Most people dismiss using water on RF plate, but I think I'll have to give it a shot at least once... Also the meat seems to dry out before I wrap at four hours, so getting the stall point up would probably help.

Also what could be the reasons for low humidity inside RF chamber? Leaky doors? Too much draft? Too little draft?

I also measured my large BGE, it was running at around 40% RH when doing low & slow. Haven't measured it yet in hot & fast. This was without water pan.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

First you should know your ambient outdoor dry bulb and wet bulb temperatures. I am guessing that you are using a wick type WB thermometer and not a sling psychrometer.

And relative humidity:

An electronic humidity device can also be used inside the pit but has a temp limit.

In est, compare the OAh to the pit or PAh and +/- the difference is whats hitting the meat.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know what is worse in BBQ chasing temps or chasing humidity.

Granted it's interesting to know what the RH is in your cooker but it'll have a negligible effect on your product...for all intents and purposes. I know this doesn't answer your question but adding water to your cooker won't solve your problem with any dry meat. Best advice I could give is learn your cooker, moisture is coming from the meat NOT from the air.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, using a wick type. Outside relative humidity seems to be parked at 100% :D

So you are saying that if my pit has a RH of 10%, 90% humidity is "hitting" the meat?

Yeah, but adding humidity would at least theoretically alter the cooking process a bit. Maybe the difference would be negligible, though ;)

I really have a hard time believing why this thing cooks so slowly, I've never had a brisket or brisket flat finish in six hours (4 nekkid, 2 foiled). Usually they take at least 7-8 hours at 300F range.

Six hours has been pretty standard with every other cooker I've used at those temps.

Tags
dry bulb, humidity, relative humidity, reverse flow, wet bulb