• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NC folks, help me out.

Pburke24

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I’ll be in topsail NC for the next week, where can I get good NC style bbq around. My initial searches doesn’t bring me back much. Please tell me Mission bbq isn’t my best option.

Thanks! Paul

The coast of NC is not bbq country. Pretty decent seafood down there though.

You’ll probably have to travel to find the good stuff

Another vote for Sam Jones BBQ in Greenville. I very much dislike the typical eastern NC BBQ where it's pulled pork literally swimming in distilled white vinegar. The Jones family (both at Skylight Inn and Sam Jones BBQ) do a much more restrained version of this where they use apple cider vinegar along with spices and some hot sauce to provide flavor. Something else I love is that they crisp up the skin during the cooking process, chop it up, and incorporate it into the pulled pork; it's pretty good.

Redneck Scientific has a BBQ spot out near Raleigh called "The Redneck BBQ Lab" and it's OK, but nothing amazing.

If you are up for a road trip, 90 miles away is Ayden, home of "the BBQ capital of the world" (according to someone - a President iirc - about 60 years ago), Skylight Inn. Just up from there is Sam Jones BBQ.
The BBQ is nice, but I just didn't get that hockey puck biscuit they put on top. It is top 10% though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Back