MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Default Love my drum, but...

Don't get me wrong-I like just about everything having do do with drum cooking.

I made a nice brisket yesterday (a tad overcooked- that happens)- KBB and hickory chunks on a 30 gallon UDS. Kosher Salt, coarse pepper, onion, garlic powder.

My color was "ok"- and the bark was "ok" and it tasted - but nothing like I see posted around the site here. The taste was there- just was not an outstanding LOOKING brisket.

For all the drum fans, how do you get that great color and bark? Or does it really just not matter that much that you don't get it? I'm not a picture taker- so it's not for show off /bragging rights. Just need to know if I'm missing out- and how to get there if I am missing out.

thanks in advance.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:33 AM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Did you wrap it? That’ll help preserve color a lot. In my experience, KBB can make the meat a little darker and depending on how much wood you used/how thick the smoke was rolling, could be some issue there too.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2022, 07:55 AM   #3
Back9Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Drum smoker and other verticals rely on very little airflow. Naturally this makes it harder to get bark compared to an offset which has a ton of airflow and less moisture in cook chamber. Ways around this are no wrap, higher heat, rubs known create bark, butcher paper instead of foil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back9Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Guess I could have been a bit wordier- I usually have the opposite problem

5 hours on the grate (250-275-ish*) - starting out fat side down- flipping half way thru. After 5 hours, the color is decent, but bark is pretty light and might not have fully set and IT is about 165-170.

I do wrap- used to do full foil cocoon/ Texas Crutch thing - lately have gotten fond of the Chud foil boat to finish- fat side up up . (250-275-ish), into a 285 oven to finish out. The fat renders pretty well on top- but my lean bark (what there is of it) suffers from being in the liquid

The wood thing... my basket is not huge- I put 4 chunks of wood- each a bit bigger than a golf ball. I have always let my smoke run clear before putting meat on the grate. After temp stabilizes and smoke clears, it could be a full hour after I "drop the hot on the not". Am I screwing myself out of bark doing that? Maybe I should forego the completely clear exhaust and just put it the grate when the temp is solid???

Old 05-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
Back9Q
is one Smokin' Farker

You are screwing yourself out of bark by putting in liquid. I know most people cook fat up so it renders down through meat but issue is fat molecules are larger than cracks in meat so it wont go through just run down and wash off rub. Found that out just after I started cooking when discussing with some food scientists

Next cook run UDS at 275-300. Put wood chunks further away from lit coals. Then wrap in butcher paper or boat when you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back9Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2022, 11:43 PM   #6
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Pepper ratio needs to be on point. 2:1 or 3:1. Or go full Louie and do 9:1 pepper to salt ratio.