Resurfacing newer Lodge to get better non stick

zippy12

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
ok so I could never cook eggs and bacon on my new Lodge pieces. Some pieces of Lodge were having the seasoning lifting off!

These are not expensive... 14 - 20.00 each

so I started thinking why not take off that ruff surface and give them a surface of the days of old...

Well you can't grind enough to get that Griswald surface, but you can take the pan down and get rid of the high spots and get the lows good enough. Pics tell story from here

20190830_155643.jpg

20190830_164513.jpg

20190830_182908.jpg

20190830_191506.jpg

4 applications of grape seed oil
20190830_213755.jpg

Last one - Egg test is next
20190831_173618.jpg

20190831_174156.jpg

20190831_174346.jpg

egg slides around like butter!!!! SUCCESS
Never could do this before
20190831_174450.jpg

20190831_174649.jpg

Nothing stuck!
20190831_174836.jpg

I always wondered if this could be done, I had the exact same issue... Thanks for the documentation, I know what I will be doing very soon!!

Nice job. If you want something awesome to season with look at Crisbee website. Crisbee products are great for seasoning cast iron.

I have 3 pans I need to re-season because the seasoning was beginning to flake off. I am going to do this for sure!

Nice job. If you want something awesome to season with look at Crisbee website. Crisbee products are great for seasoning cast iron.

Sir, Thank you for that post, this is exactly what I have been looking for!!

so... i am going to go out on a limb and be a party pooper, but why do you guys really use cast iron for anymore anyway? i'm not trying to judge you all but i think it is alot of work, upkeep, aggravation and inconvenience just for the mediocre non stick results of frying an egg. is it just for nostalgia. if so, i can understand. i am a barber and i always hear that the best shaves can be had from a straight razor but i can tell you that the reason people do not use straight razors any more is because they are junk compared to a modern day schick extreme three.

Taking a chance here. Did you happen to weigh it before and after? I think Lodge makes a good product at awesome pricing. But they are quite noticeably heavier than my vintage pieces.

Taking a chance here. Did you happen to weigh it before and after? I think Lodge makes a good product at awesome pricing. But they are quite noticeably heavier than my vintage pieces.

exactly why i got it

but I did not weigh it and am happy with the result... What good is it if sausage and eggs dont stick

Last edited:
I've got 13-14 pieces of old cast iron. The newest one my wife and I got as a wedding present 42 years ago. The rest are 1920-1930 or so 1 dates to 1900. I don't cook on anything else. It takes minimal effort to keep them slick. I fried potatoes in a #10 Wagner Ware Sidney O tonight. Browned up nicely and wiped clean with a paper towel. Try getting 100 years out of any cookware produced today. Not likely. My grandkids will be cooking on them one day.

That’s pretty cool what you’ve done. When I was actively collecting/rehabbing vintage skillets more than once I thought of doing what you’ve done. Looks great. Enjoy

Walmart has a duel handle 85% off. Could be your next project piece. There are quite a few cast iron users here that enjoy the topic. Thanks for posting

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=475670422

Looks great and thinking seriously about doing something similar to my Blackstone.

Not being a hater here but I'm seriously underwhelmed with the whole Flaxseed oil (add grape to the mix) for a seasoning medium. My Blackstone was looking great until the Flaxseed seasoning started to flake off. I went back over the worst area with Lard and finally got a nice slick durable surface. Guess I need to re-do the entire surface, although I really only cook on the two burners where the Lard is now.

Sometimes I'm not cooking a large enough quantity to justify the Blackstone - that's where the cast skillet comes to the rescue. Seriously good caramelization on everything. :thumb:

Wow, I’ve never seen CI shine like that! What’s mounted on the angle grinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so... i am going to go out on a limb and be a party pooper, but why do you guys really use cast iron for anymore anyway? i'm not trying to judge you all but i think it is alot of work, upkeep, aggravation and inconvenience just for the mediocre non stick results of frying an egg. is it just for nostalgia. if so, i can understand. i am a barber and i always hear that the best shaves can be had from a straight razor but i can tell you that the reason people do not use straight razors any more is because they are junk compared to a modern day schick extreme three.
My wife gets pissed when I put her fiestaware into the smoker.

Dutch oven, loaf pans, skillets, are all cast iron that I use. Grills and smokers work better with them. No plastic, rubber, or glass on my cast iron.
No staining from the smoke on my cast iron. It takes a beating and keeps looking great. Fiestaware will stain badly on a smoker. I found out the hard way... Do not use your wife's dishes in your smoker.

@rookidad I would give cast iron a try. I’m not frying eggs on mine but it really is a versatile piece of cookware. LeCreusset makes enameled cast iron at hundreds more. Try searing a steak in cast iron and give it a whirl, I think you will like it and for $20-$30 you can’t beat it.

Back