MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:16 AM   #31
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default Resurfacing newer Lodge to get better non stick

So I moved into house with a electric glass countertop. Think polishing the undersides of my CIs will make them less prone to scratching the glass? I’m sure I’m smart enough to not drop the damn thing.

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #32
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I've heard our stove tec's telling customers your not supposed to use them on the glass tops but a lot of folks do. I do know they make a plate to put down to transfer the heat and not scratch the surface. No eggs in mine as I prefer a none stick but every thing else they work great, no warping and temps stay even , also no lard for long term storage as it can and will turn rancid if not properly dried out.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:05 AM   #33
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Taking a chance here. Did you happen to weigh it before and after? I think Lodge makes a good product at awesome pricing. But they are quite noticeably heavier than my vintage pieces.
Modern cast iron is thicker and heavier by design due to modern stoves putting out less even heat.

The rough surface is just a money saver since grinding/polishing it smooth is labor intensive and people won’t pay big $$$ for new cast iron.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #34
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
So I moved into house with a electric glass countertop. Think polishing the undersides of my CIs will make them less prone to scratching the glass? I’m sure I’m smart enough to not drop the damn thing.
I use my Lodge skillets on our glass cooktop with no issues. Heats well, has never scratched the glass but I don't make a habit of sliding it around.

These are 10" round and 10" square CI skillets.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #35
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

Loved my cast iron, but they're heavy, and it was getting hard to lift them due to various issues and arthritis, So I reserched and got an 11" steel restaurant style pan, Half the weight, seasons great, and cooks fast, I like it...maybe more then the cast iron...
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #36
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

Made creapes on this this AM and it was wonderful!

Old 09-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #37
Rodomac
Knows what a fatty is.

The other day I was out in the garage looking for some tools and noticed the spousal unit had picked up a couple of different size cast iron from a friend. One was a Griswald in great shape, I am happy ��
Rodomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->