Crab & Lemon Stuffed Salmon ~ Cook's Thread For The "Salmon!" TD

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
This recipe is a page out of Cowgirl's playbook, I believe she posted it about 5 years ago and it's been a favorite of ours and several friends ever since. It's also fantastic when served chilled as an appetizer at a party and I take it on one of those grilling planks, they make a perfect cutting board.

I started with a skin-on side of salmon, and removed the tail section and belly which were cured and smoked.

bpqNkIe.jpg

ibH9tuV.jpg

I lightly steamed two crab leg clusters and picked all the meat. The claws come into play later.

7U7M3Ao.jpg

ui9Vl9C.jpg

The picked meat is seasoned with chopped onion, Old Bay, mayonnaise, parsley, garlic and lemon juice and allowed to chill for a couple of hours. After making some slits in the fillet, the flesh was rubbed with blood orange infused oil. The seasoning for the fillet is Oakridge Smoked Chile Lime rub and cracked black pepper.

IKPgfll.jpg

And here is the final assembly. I only cook salmon to maybe 136° +/- and the half lemon slices really keep it moist. I chill the fillet for 2 hours before grilling.

TxDzG7B.jpg

I only use a handful of flavor pellets, for maybe 8 minutes of smoke. Once the internal is 100° or so I added the claws until they were warm to the touch (I had a steamer warmed up for them right before plating)

5FSjcGS.jpg

VAyHiH1.jpg

In a few minutes the lemons turn opaque and albumen starts to show at the slits, this is a sign it's done enough for my liking.

FDzTYJJ.jpg

05ZO50P.jpg

That is an amazing looking dish! You certainly turned up the competition a notch or two.

Absolutely Fantastic. One of my favorite meals. Would love some of that

This truly is a great combination of flavors and I can't stress how good it is served chilled. Maybe with some tartar or remoulade sauce and fresh lemon wedges because the juices from the half-slices have basted the salmon. I've made it a couple of times with shrimp stuffing and it's equally as good.

Hot dam that looks and sounds amazing. All this different citrus flavors combined with salmon and crab. WoW!

This is getting added to the Brethren list of things I plan to make.

Hot dam that looks and sounds amazing. All this different citrus flavors combined with salmon and crab. WoW!

This is getting added to the Brethren list of things I plan to make.

Well, I find all kinds of things looking through the archived posts, including this technique. Here is cowgirl's posting from 2016 that inspired me. I couldn't find it but I think it was she that did a longitudinal stuffing where the fillet was sort of rolled up.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225831&highlight=salmon

Last edited:
Looks familiar, alrighty! :laugh: Thanks for the mention, Wayne. Yours looks delicious! :grin:

Back