MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Atombomb182
Found some matches.

Default Everything takes longer in my UDS

I've been cooking on my UDS for just over 7 years and wanted to share some experiences with the community to see if anyone has seen similar results. I'm not sure if the laws of physics don't exist inside the can, but everything seems to take much longer on my UDS. This weekend, I smoked a 19lb brisket for 32 hours, the meat temp got to 185 before I had to pull it as dinner was approaching. I usually smoke at 225 but allow 15 degrees on either side before adjusting valves. I did have about a 1 hour period where the smoker temp dipped below 200 before I woke up enough to realize.

I've noticed similar results with butts. Baby backs on my UDS are underdone at 6 hours and perfect at 8.

As for my setup, I have a charcoal basket elevated off the bottom of the can by about 1.5" the basket is about 10" tall and the food grate is 18" above the coals. There's about 8" between the food grate and the lid. I'm usually reading the smoker temp just below the food grate. For this cook, the meat probe was in the largest part of the point.

Asking purely out of curiosity. I have a Big Joe III on it's way and will retire the can.
Atombomb182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
NoNotTheDuo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

When I cook in cans (UDS or Gateway, both are the same), I cook at a much higher temp. Usually right at 300. To me, this is the biggest benefit of a can. Briskets are done and rested in less than 6 hours for me!
NoNotTheDuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
cclinard1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chas

UDS shines doing hot/fast. Try going up to 275-300 and you'll see better results.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
Atombomb182
Found some matches.

I wish I would have asked this question 7 years ago.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

For the record it doesn’t have to be 300. I smoke in my drum at the 260-275 range all the time as well with great results.

I also smoke briskets and pork butts at 275-300 regardless of what smoker I use..even my stick burner.

Chicken likes 325-350!!
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I would bet your thermometer is way off.. under by 50*
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I start all smokes off at 225-250 for 2 hours, then 275-285 rest of cook
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

What kind of thermometer are you using? If it's not digital there is a good chance you might be cooking a lot colder then you think.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #9
Atombomb182
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I would bet your thermometer is way off.. under by 50*
You got me curious. I'll boil some water and test.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
Atombomb182
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
What kind of thermometer are you using? If it's not digital there is a good chance you might be cooking a lot colder then you think.
Maverick ET-732

Old 10-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
Atombomb182
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atombomb182 View Post
You got me curious. I'll boil some water and test.
Seems to be right on the money

Old 10-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Usually it's the other way around, early on people commented that drums cooked 25% faster. What I found was the short stem thermometers mounted in the side read low by 40° or so when compared to the actual temps at the grate. I did some testing with cable probes clipped on the grate, then wound up buying 12" long TelTru thermometers and mounted it so the stem is a few inches under the top grate. So 250° on my side thermometer equals 280° on my 12" thermometer.

The first mod I did was a hanging rack, so with the thermometer fully inserted I can't to a 360° spin of my rack, so I mounted it in a sleeve so I can retract it. I also have to take it out to lower my charcoal basket.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #13
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Daniel

My new drum cooks a lot faster than my kamado. I do run it a little hotter but overall it’s a cooking machine and reasonably efficient.

I also would guess your thermometers are off or you’re placing them too close to the meat and it’s throwing you off.

One thing I’ve learned with my cookers (kamado first then drum), get the thing humming at the temp you want THEN put the meat on and don’t touch anything! Just like hot air heats the meat, cold meat cools the air!

Old 10-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #14
JEStucker
Full Fledged Farker

Location: That one particular harbor, So far, but yet so near
Name/Nickname : Jeff

My drum that I built about 3 or so years ago seems to like running at 275* (give or take 15*) - I can go hotter, usually maxing out about 350* if necessary, but it doesn't like to hold 350* at all (lots of fluctuation).
Once I dial in my vents to where I feel comfortable, it'll run 275* for 10-16 hours depending on how much charcoal (briqs or lump) and wood I've fed it,
I've tried 225* to 250* and it always wants to stabilize at 275*, so I just go with it.

If you're truly running 225*, then 32 hours for a 19lb brisket wouldn't be far off... most cooking information says 1.5 hours per pound, so you're looking at 28.5 hours just based on weight alone (that is a MONSTER brisket by the way) - figure you lose heat every time you open the drum to fiddle with something, of even when adding more coals or wood...

Old 10-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #15
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

32 hours? at some point you have to give in and crutch that thing :)

rb