MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #16
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Weber first introduced the WSM in 1981.

That ........ is a long track record of successful barbecue.

I bought my 18" in 2002 and its still goin strong.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #17
musicmanj
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

They are a great smokers.

At the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to upgrade my cheap offset smoker that I had been cooking on for over 20 years. But I wasn't sure if I wanted an upgraded offset, insulated vertical, or gravity fed. I enjoyed tending fire, but with the cheap offset, it was no longer fun. I quickly realized I would be ordering something from Texas to be built, and with that cost, I wanted to make sure I purchased the right smoker.

I decided to buy a WSM to see if I would be interested in something similar to an insulated vertical smoker. I never cooked BBQ on a "set it and forget it" type smoker. I also new that I would be able to easily sell it on craigslist. I had the same impression you did and was pleasantly surprised at what a great smoker the WSM is. I went with a 22" and no upgrades. Briskets, ribs, pulled pork, meatloaf, beef ribs, it cooks everything like a champ. I watched Harry Soo's setup video on YouTube and setup my charcoal the same way. I cook without water in the pan, and spritz once every 45 min so that I can feel like I'm doing something. Been cooking tasty Q all summer long. It's very easy to cook on and you won't regret it.

All that said, I realized I prefer a stick burner and put my money down on an LSG offset. While I can appreciate the set it and forget it style of cooking, I like tending to a fire too much. I was planning on selling the WSM, but I've been so impressed with it, I will likely hang on to it for when I need an unattended cook.
musicmanj is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #18
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

You'll never regret it or quit using it. Well worth the $.
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #19
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Congratulations! You can never go wrong with a WSM!

Old 10-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #20
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

I had a similar setup witha Vortex basket in an 18" WSM w/hanger. I think the best chicken I ever made came out of that setup. Congrats!

Old 10-26-2020, 02:30 PM   #21
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I have a 22.5" wsm too. I've been eyeing the vortex basket for a long time but never pulled the trigger. My big complaint about the stock fire ring setup is it seems to burn a LOT more fuel than a UDS (which I've owned and used a lot in the past). I think the vortex basket would help with efficiency. Please keep us updated on how it performs in your WSM. I've never had any complaints about the end result, just unhappy with how much fuel it burns for a given cook.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #22
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Gonna break it in with something extra special - homemade sausage fatty. Debating on stuffed or not. Gonna be dirty and not wrap it.
Killa J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #23
NoOne
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : NoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzadski View Post
You are going to really like it and perfect timing for the fatty contest. They run rock solid and not too bad to master. I run without water but put the bottom of a clay flower pot in the water bowl and wrap with foil. Still keeps great temp, much hotter (if wanted) and uses less fuel. One last thing, I am guessing you have been to the tvwb but, if not great place for WSM

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
I second TVWB site for all things WSM. Fantastic site to learn about your new WSM.
AZ BBQ Outfitters 48” Argentine Grill w/ Brassero
Humphrey’s Battle Box
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2020, 01:49 AM   #24
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Just the Wife and I now. We have the 18.5. 22# brisket, butts, ribs not a problem. This is a Beast as is the 22. Just take some time to get to know it.

You can pass it down to your kids with a little care.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #25
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

I have been to TVWB. I actually built a HeaterMeter for my Akorn from a guide on the site about 5 or 6 years ago. Good place, but I like here and smoking meat forum better.
Killa J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #26
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

The 18" WSM was my first smoker and I had good success with it. After buying a PBC, I never used the WSM again and later sold the three that I had. I still have the PBC.

Enjoy yours.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #27
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree that is a beginner smoker (actually GREAT beginner smoker) but it isn't cheap. It was my first smoker many years ago and I still have it, even though I have added many more since. It definitely has its place
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #28
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa J View Post
I have been to TVWB. I actually built a HeaterMeter for my Akorn from a guide on the site about 5 or 6 years ago. Good place, but I like here and smoking meat forum better.

Chris updated the message forum software earlier this year, and its the best I've used. Very easy to post pics. Can embed all types of social media. Lots of good features.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #29
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Can’t go wrong with a WSM. I think a lot of people getting pellet grills would be better off getting a WSM. It produces good food and is easy to use, clean and store (for a smoker). The price is right as well, and has lots of mods.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #30
icemanrc
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Rusty Cooke

Great choice! I have a Lang and a Stumps, but I still kept my WSM. I pack it up in the truck and take it with us camping.
icemanrc is offline   Reply With Quote