The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Default 3 days of boneless beef short ribs

Yesterday day 1, we grilled some marinated thinly sliced boneless short ribs over lump charcoal. This is the traditional Korean way and always excellent. Ate it with Korean beansprouts, kimchi jjigae, soy-vinegar pickled red radish and onion, cilantro, lettuce, and perilla leaves.

Today day 2, I decided to cut the boneless short ribs into steaks and seasoned it with olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning. The meat was little chewy but still great as I could really taste the rich beef short rib flavor. I prefer my short ribs without any marinade.

Ate the short ribs with cold bowl of naengmyeon. Naengmyeon noodle is made from flour and starch of buckwheat, potatoes, sweet potatoes and is unlike any noodle you find in Western cuisine. It's extremely chewy, almost rubber band like. The cold beefy tangy broth pairs great with any grilled meat as vinegar taste cuts through the richness and heavy grease/oil of the meat.

Tomorrow day 3, I'm doing USA BBQ style and smoking boneless beef short ribs. I've been neglecting my Big Kamado Joe so I might fire up the big ceramic.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Dang, I could almost smell how good that tasted. Mighty Fine!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Looks great
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Baychilla
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

The beef and noodles looks like an excellent way to start the day.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
Pocchampion
Full Fledged Farker

Love the beef. I waffle between marinade and straight up. My Korean mother in law has served the buckwheat noodles and they are nothing like you described. Her version is flavor less rubber bands. I am going to have to try them at a Korean restaurant.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks fantastic!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #7
EyeBurnEverything
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

You need to look into sous vide short ribs. I think you would love those short ribs 136F for 36 hours with a quick high heat sear on a chimney starter for 1 min per side before sous vide. You can also quick sear after for 30 second per side for even better results.

btw, we are talking filet mignon tender, with extreme short rib flavor. You really can not achieve this tender/texture/flavor anyway else.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

That looks like a winner right there!

24"x48" Custom Offset, 22" Weber Kettle , Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. An almost finished UDS
Insta @lumberjacksmokestack
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocchampion View Post
Love the beef. I waffle between marinade and straight up. My Korean mother in law has served the buckwheat noodles and they are nothing like you described. Her version is flavor less rubber bands. I am going to have to try them at a Korean restaurant.
It's hard to find good naengmyeon in the US. It should not be flavorless since the stock is made from beef broth. And spicy mustard sauce and vinegar add tangy flavor. Good naengmyeon broth takes all day to cook and is just as involved as good pho or ramen broth. I only know of one restaurant in Atlanta that has good naengmyeon. The rest are decent to awful. And Atlanta has lot of Korean restaurants, maybe second only to Los Angeles.

Last edited by ulc; 07-13-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
You need to look into sous vide short ribs. I think you would love those short ribs 136F for 36 hours with a quick high heat sear on a chimney starter for 1 min per side before sous vide. You can also quick sear after for 30 second per side for even better results.

btw, we are talking filet mignon tender, with extreme short rib flavor. You really can not achieve this tender/texture/flavor anyway else.
I need to try sous vide short ribs. I keep forgetting to do it. I have Anova so it would be real easy to do.

My wife makes killer galbi jjim using stove top pressure cooker. Galbi jjim is basically braised short ribs. And since it's pressure cooked, it's fall off the bone fork tender. You can use Instant Pot to make it but I think it tastes better when made using stove top pressure cooker.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
ironmanerik
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post

Do you season before vac sealing?

Old 07-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

OMG, that all looks amazing. Love Korean flavors. I'd hit all of that really hard. I can taste it from here! Can you give more info on those leaves? We enjoy using lettuce, kale, beet leaves etc as wraps. Healthier than tortillas. Always looking for something new!

Thanks,

Bob

Southwest Bash Thread!

BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

So today on Day 3, I smoked some boneless beef short ribs on the Big Kamado Joe. I used Western lump with some oak and cherry chunks and smoked for 5 hours at 275 F. I planned on checking the meat at around the 4 hour mark but I took an afternoon nap and overslept. When I went to check the meat after waking up, it was reading 211 F. So short ribs were overcooked but it happens. I let it rest for about 2 hours until dinner time. I sliced it and paired it with some bibim-guksu which is another popular Korean cold spicy noodle dish. The noodle didn't look that spicy but it packed some delayed heat from gochujang sauce.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #14
mchar69
Babbling Farker

THAT. LOOKS. AMAZING. HO - Li - FARK!!!
I could taste the beef in your 1st entree just by looking at it.
Last one might look not as red as the 1st, but I bet tasty!
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #15
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
OMG, that all looks amazing. Love Korean flavors. I'd hit all of that really hard. I can taste it from here! Can you give more info on those leaves? We enjoy using lettuce, kale, beet leaves etc as wraps. Healthier than tortillas. Always looking for something new!

Thanks,

Bob
It's perilla leaves. This link shows some of the ways it's used in Korean cooking. https://kimchimari.com/how-to-eat-pe...orean-cooking/

It's in our backyard garden and it grows like weed so I always have some available during the summer time. It's awesome for wraps and is especially great with grilled pork belly. Tonight I chopped some up and added to the bibim-guksu noodle as garnish. And I also ate some of the sliced short ribs wrapped in pickled perilla leaves in soy sauce. The pickled perilla leaves in soy sauce is the dish on the left of the short ribs.