Brisket, sausage, fatties, MOINKS - Pr0n

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Had a fun cook yesterday. Walk through it with me, if you like.

I fired up the WSM at about 7:15 AM. Weather was muggy, in the mid-70's. Used Royal Oak charcoal (more on that later), with a few chunks of oak and hickory mixed in.

Let's start with the star of the show: a 14# Prime packer I picked up Thursday night from HEB. $3.29/lb: not bad. I did what I consider to be a moderate trim on it, leaving some on top, getting most of the hard stuff, and leaving 1/4" on the fat side. All in all took about 2 pounds out. Seasoned it with what is now my go-to rub: Kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, turbinado sugar, Cayenne pepper. Here it is ready for the smoke:

picture.php

Put it in the WSM, and it read about 265 in the dome. Never could really get it up to my customary 280-285 range. One reason may be the temperature drop: a front blew through around 9:30 and the mid 70's became the mid to upper 40's! I had also made a couple of fatties: Jimmy Dean Maple wrapped in bacon and dusted with some Blues Hog rib rub, thusly:

picture.php

No pics of the finished result, but they were tasty on buttermilk biscuits.

Save for taking out the fatties at 10:15, my first peek at the brisket was at about 1:00 PM. Looking good!

picture.php

At about 3:00 I wrapped it in butcher paper. From there on out I had to tend to the charcoal more than I typically do. I know it was cooler outside than is the norm for my cooks, but that Royal Oak just didn't seem to perform. Ashed over a lot, and burned down what I consider to be too fast. So I would toss in small batches of KBB to keep the fire going. At 5:15 the brisket passed the probe test nicely, and internal temps read about 207. I pulled it and rested it on the counter for about 30 minutes before foiling and holding in a cooler. Here is what it looked like just after I brought it in:

picture.php

Right after I pulled the brisket I put some MOINKS into the WSM. First time to make those in a while. About 6:30 put in two rings of sausage: one HEB brand Longhorn Cheddar, the other Chappell Hill Pork & Venison. No pics of either!

At 7:00 PM it was time to slice the brisket, as everything else was ready. It had a nice bark, but not as hard and dark as I am used to. Sliced real nicely, no crumbling. Here's the money shot:

picture.php

Here's a bend test:

picture.php

After separating the flat and the point, I sliced about half of the flat and saved the rest as-is. Was VERY happy with the point. Even the crispiest bark was still very edible. Super moist, great flavor profile. Here's the platter I served up for dinner:

picture.php

And lastly, here is my plate. Sliced and chunked brisket, two kinds of sausage, a few MOINKs, yummy onion pieces, and an avocado. It did not leave me hungry:

picture.php

I'll post an entry in the current Brisket Throwdown, so let's see how everyone does. Overall I was happy with the cook, I think I have my method down. Can't say I'm a fan of Royal Oak: both regular old KBB and Weber charcoals work much better for me, but hey. Now we have some delicious left-overs for the week!

Very nicely done. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice work there, thanks for sharing.

I just don't see any way to improve on that brisket. Just knocked it out of the park!

Nicely done. Interesting about the charcoal...I have exactly the opposite experience. Extreme ash issues with KBB and not so much with Royal Oak.

Back