The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #31
LYU370
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
A few years back a friend of mines wife was out of town for a couple of days he calls me up and asked me if I like ham sandwiches and if I knew how to make one. I answered yes to both questions then he asked I could come over and make us both a ham sandwich. Apparently his wife left the ingredients but had failed to pre-slice the ham and leave instruction on how to assemble said sandwich...

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #32
Nuco59
is One Chatty Farker

After she moved out "on her own", my daughter called my wife one time asking "how long do you boil hot dogs?". YOU can cook but there's a ton of folk who can't even follow instructions on the box of Kraft macaroni and cheese.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #33
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually, I've been on both sides of that coin but I tried to listen and learn and found this site. Some of the young guns I try to pass knowledge to want to argue with me after 37 years in the HVAC business. That's OK. I just let them find out the hard way after that.

I have a new Son in law who just got a WSM and he thinks it should be as easy to make a brisket that taste like mine as running a microwave. Hopefully he will learn.

PS: He too is an engineer.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #34
RemoGaggi
On the road to being a farker

Thanks Everyone for your stories and understanding. I got some good laughs from some of your responses. I didn't hear back from my friend last night after he asked what to do with the smoker after he pulled the meat, nor did he text me any pictures. But, he did try to call me today. I didn't pick up the phone cause I was still annoyed with him. Haha.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #35
Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
Thanks Everyone for your stories and understanding. I got some good laughs from some of your responses. I didn't hear back from my friend last night after he asked what to do with the smoker after he pulled the meat, nor did he text me any pictures. But, he did try to call me today. I didn't pick up the phone cause I was still annoyed with him. Haha.
Yep, get ready to hear a sob sorry. I know I hear them.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #36
Jason TQ

I actually have the opposite where I have smart friends and I give them dumb advise ! Not sure why they listen to me.........or pretend to be my friend...........

My buddy stopped by a few days before Thanksgiving to borrow one of my Hunsakers. Told him how to load it and said adjust the vents a little to get around 300 and chuck the turkey on and take it off when its done.

Told him to message me with questions the day of if needed, but the only time he did was sending me a pick of the color about half way through to see if I thought it was time to put some foil over it so it didn't get dark.

Was his first time using the smoker and maybe only the 2nd he's really smoked anything.....other than watching me do it other times. This were the pics he sent me.

3 Hunsaker Drums
Weber 18.5 Kettle
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #37
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I actually have the opposite where I have smart friends and I give them dumb advise ! Not sure why they listen to me.........or pretend to be my friend...........

My buddy stopped by a few days before Thanksgiving to borrow one of my Hunsakers. Told him how to load it and said adjust the vents a little to get around 300 and chuck the turkey on and take it off when its done.

Told him to message me with questions the day of if needed, but the only time he did was sending me a pick of the color about half way through to see if I thought it was time to put some foil over it so it didn't get dark.

Was his first time using the smoker and maybe only the 2nd he's really smoked anything.....other than watching me do it other times. This were the pics he sent me.
This is the case of "It's not cook. It's the cooker"
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum
Pit Barrel Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #38
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

This is a fantastic post and I too laughed my rump roast off... ive found that pointing newbies to pellet grills mitigates most of the questions except what cut what temp and how long... they will find there way to charcoal or sticks after that if they really get interested in the end product... and a couple of them have gotten really nice pellet grills for me to ooggle-envy over.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #39
RemoGaggi
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Yep, get ready to hear a sob sorry. I know I hear them.
I talked to my friend yesterday and he didn't say anything about how the brisket flat came out. Today, he told me that it didn't turn out too good and that he won't be trying that again. He told me that he had trouble at the beginning because he didn't have any newspaper for the chimney starter and that he then had trouble keeping the fire going after awhile.

The funny thing is that when he got the WSM, I knew he would have trouble with it because he's so impatient. Shortly after he got the WSM, I found a Junior Traeger on CL that I picked up for $70. I offered to give it to him and told him it would be easier for him to use, but he put his nose up in the air and said his sister has a Traeger and thinks she's all that, and he was turned off by the thought of having a Traeger.

Oh well. I cleaned up the Junior Traeger and sold it for $200.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #40
Steve S
Full Fledged Farker

As an engineer who works with other engineers, I appreciate the difficulty you had. Cooking is an art that many left brained types have trouble with. Smoking adds in the variation of too many temperature and time combinations for some to grasp.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #41
pork_butt
Knows what a fatty is.

OMG this is funny. I also have a friend Matt. He does not smoke because he does not have the patients or want to put the time in and he admits it. Good on him, right?

He does like to grill. Every time my wife and I go over for a little cook out, he chars the sh!t out of the meat. He's only cooking for 4 people.

He has a 5 burner gas grill and he insists on turning all 5 burners on. When he puts the meat on, he always gets a flare up ... ALWAYS. Next he gets out his water bottle to put out the flames. I want to tell him "Hey Matt why don't you just turn on burners 1, 3, and 5. That way you won't get as many flare ups", but I don't. I just watch silently and rejoice in the fact that he has plenty of cold beer.