MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Capt ron
On the road to being a farker

Default Help in Breast area...

If anyone is bbq'in chicken breasts for competitions?
What is the preferred? Bone-in or boneless breasts? I hear people about talk about doing breasts but no specifications on which one they do that come out dry... What it the temp you want to reach before the point of it turning into sawdust?Thanks in advance for they help and have a great week
Capt

"Smokin' ain't no habit...It's an art!"
http://www.freewebs.com/susquehannabluesmoke
Capt ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Try brining them and cook to 165.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Capt. Ron,

I know it is legal to turn-in chicken breast, but are they not too large to put 6 of them in a turn-in box?

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cook them on the bone to retain moisture. You can remove easily after fully cooked. I'd cook them short of 165, maybe 155 - 160. After 140-145 you are in the safe zone for bacteria.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Make it easy on yourself and do thighs! Everybody and their mother does em but they usually win.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
lbmksu
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Isn't that the problem....that everyone does thighs? Is there an argument to be made that being different could make you stand out?
lbmksu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
lbmksu
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

On that end... I agree that thighs are great, but most non-BBQ civilians only want white meat. Any idea what how many civilians make up the judging panel at any given contest?
lbmksu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

I know there are a few teams turning in both! And winning! We have been practicing but can't get the breast right yet.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmksu View Post
On that end... I agree that thighs are great, but most non-BBQ civilians only want white meat. Any idea what how many civilians make up the judging panel at any given contest?
Really depends on the contest. A lot of organizers are trying to get as many CBJs as possible.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Cook them on the bone to retain moisture. You can remove easily after fully cooked. I'd cook them short of 165, maybe 155 - 160. After 140-145 you are in the safe zone for bacteria.
ServSafe still uses 145 - beef, fish and pork, 155 ground beef or pork, 165 poultry. Just took the test.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife View Post
I know there are a few teams turning in both! And winning! We have been practicing but can't get the breast right yet.
Some teams can win without thighs, but most don't. Why push that rock uphill? If a top team like Smoke On Wheels can't get breasts right, that should give you an idea of just how high that hill is.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt ron View Post
If anyone is bbq'in chicken breasts for competitions?
What is the preferred? Bone-in or boneless breasts? I hear people about talk about doing breasts but no specifications on which one they do that come out dry... What it the temp you want to reach before the point of it turning into sawdust?Thanks in advance for they help and have a great week
Capt
We had some success last year with breast only and breast/thigh combo boxes. When done well, the breast can be very tender and moist. I wouldn't cook them much past 160F.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
nthole
Babbling Farker

This thread has a severly misleading title...

We've tried thighs and wings. I don't think I can consistently produce a really perfect breast. As for the amount, two sliced up would be plenty.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

I've won with white meat, but being the King of Brining, you already know my secret.

Two keys: Brining and temp.

I wouldn't try to guess what judges like/don't like. I've actually heard it all ways; I like white meat, I don't like white meat, I like dark meat, I don't like dark meat.

Just make sure if you ever turn it in, that it's not overcooked AND it's tender. That's the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Capt. Ron,

I know it is legal to turn-in chicken breast, but are they not too large to put 6 of them in a turn-in box?
Sawdust, you don't have to turn in 6 whole breasts, you just have to have 6 pieces. There are a lot of options. 3 cut in 1/2; 4 cut up into larger chunks, 6 whole breasts. I did that one, did well with it, but the size/shape is pretty hard to find.

I cook bone on like Todd suggested.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmksu View Post
Organizers typically try to get as many CBJ's as possible, but in my experience the judges don't really care if the meat is white or dark as long as it is cooked right. I have rarely seen a breast that is not dry by the time it gets to our table. On those rare occasions, however, it can be really really great.

I like the idea of cooking it on the bone and then removing it to box. I will be stealing that one if I ever do breasts.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote