MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Better to have too much instead of too little.

That and parsley is cheap so don't be afraid to buy a little heavy.
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

One well known competitor told me he uses 3 bunches of parsley & one head of romaine to build all four boxes. Now, I'm sure he uses 3 large bunches; however, that's cutting it too close for me. I used 8 bunches & 2 head last comp we did and we even used some for a 5th category at that comp. That amount seemed to work for us.

KCBS CBJ CBBQA

[B]Competition arsenal:[/B]
(1) [I][B]22.5 WSM[/B][/I], (2) [I][B]18.5 WSMs[/B], So fast it predicts the future [COLOR="Blue"][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [B]Thermapen[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/vicioussmoke"][B]Visit Vicious Smoke on facebook[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.twitter.com/vicioussmokebbq"][B]Follow Vicious Smoke on twitter[/B][/URL]
ViciousGame is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousGame View Post
One well known competitor told me he uses 3 bunches of parsley & one head of romaine to build all four boxes. Now, I'm sure he uses 3 large bunches; however, that's cutting it too close for me. I used 8 bunches & 2 head last comp we did and we even used some for a 5th category at that comp. That amount seemed to work for us.
Ya, I don't think I'll be going in there with 3 bunches of parsley. I'd end up without garnish in 3 of the boxes!
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Ya, I don't think I'll be going in there with 3 bunches of parsley. I'd end up without garnish in 3 of the boxes!
He said he could build 4 boxes for only $4. I told him "wow, that's efficient...and cheap!" Then, his fiancé said, "I buy 4...just in case!" LOL

KCBS CBJ CBBQA

[B]Competition arsenal:[/B]
(1) [I][B]22.5 WSM[/B][/I], (2) [I][B]18.5 WSMs[/B], So fast it predicts the future [COLOR="Blue"][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [B]Thermapen[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/vicioussmoke"][B]Visit Vicious Smoke on facebook[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.twitter.com/vicioussmokebbq"][B]Follow Vicious Smoke on twitter[/B][/URL]
ViciousGame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Last contest I went to I bought 3 lbs and had enough left over to sod my yard.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
discosuperfly
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

We use maybe one bunch of parsley per box. We've been doing a Harry Soo/Pickled Pig method lately and it hasn't hurt our scores at all. It has shaved at least an hour off our box prep. There was a Youtube video of Harry's box class which he gives to rookie teams competing against him on Saturday mornings. Also, there is a Brethren thread about it as well...

Essentially, we take green leaf lettuce and cut into strips and throw it in the box until we get the desired height built up. Then we ring the outer edge with parsley, after we put the meat in the box we fill in any voids with more parsley. YMMV but it hasn't hurt us one bit.

Here's another helpful thread for you showing various methods

Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
He said he could build 4 boxes for only $4. I told him "wow, that's efficient...and cheap!" Then, his fiancé said, "I buy 4...just in case!" LOL
They also get really good parsley..and have even had it shipped from Northern California..plus his boxes aren't putting greens either.
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

cpw, we go about 2-3 bundles as stated before, but allow me to make a suggestion, especially if this is your first time out. Look at this link http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...-transfer.html

Following this allows me to do the time consuming part ahead of time, and makes the time spent at the comp FAR more enjoyable. I've tried it twice so far with great success. And you can put your boxes together sitting on the couch at home days in advance!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #24
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We ended up using 6 bunches, but they were all really nice. We also ended up finishing the boxes about an hour ago, while at the comp. just didn't have time to build them at home this week.
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #25
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Now...who could that be???

On another note...and keep in mind I am WAY out of the game.....heard a rumor that rosettes of green leaf are all the rage. It's just a rumor.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #26
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Is that with full putting greens on top of romaine or romaine on the bottom with parsley just around the sides of the meat? Would be hard if not impossible to fill 4 boxes with 3 bundles unless they were huge .