MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Smoking a Turkey Sunday

Put a turkey in the fridge last weekend to thaw and smoke on Easter Sunday. My wife bought it last Nov. before Thanksgiving and I just now noticed it has 8% solution already injected (chicken stock, saline solution, phosphorus, etc.)

I was planning to brine today......should I go ahead and brine or just run with what has already been added?

First time I've tried smoking a turkey. Debating wheather to use my UDS or my Acorn. I'm leaning toward the Acorn, thoughts?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

You can still brine just don't go crazy with the salt and rinse it off before you cook it. I spatchcock mine and cook them on the drum at 325-350. Good luck. Smoked turkey is my fave.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just cut the brine's salt in half and go for it. I cook roughly one every other month to cut up for the freezer and usually just rub the skin with sesame oil and herbs. Many people inject an enhanced bird with herbed butter but I've never tried that.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Smoked my first Turkey for Thanksgiving and it was AMAZING. As for your question ... I don't know ... but good luck with the cook

Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

I just did a turkey (oven roasted ) on Monday. I had intended to brine it but ran into a schedule issue so I just roasted it.
It turned out very good (better than I expected) and tasted like it HAD been brined.
It was a Butter Ball turkey and I am glad I did not brine it because it WAS previously injected.
Had I brined it, I think it would have been way too much...

BTW, I love smoked turkey, wish I could have finished it in the smoker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130321_142217_964.jpg (62.9 KB, 237 views)
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
rifraf
On the road to being a farker

I agree with what the guys above have said just use a less salt in your brine. I always use the enhanced frozen turkeys because i can get a better price on them at thanksgiving time lol. i usually do about 3 24-30 pound turkeys for thanksgiving and a 20 pounder for Christmas. my brine calls for about 2 cups of kosher or sea salt so i use a little under a 1.5 cups. have never had a salty bird yet. Plus I dont think I could ever eat turkey out of the oven it again. Smoked turkey is so juice and yummy.

Good Luck!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

If I cut the salt in half in the brine and per chance the concentration of salt in the bird is higher.......wouldn't it pull salt out of the bird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Just cut the brine's salt in half and go for it. I cook roughly one every other month to cut up for the freezer and usually just rub the skin with sesame oil and herbs. Many people inject an enhanced bird with herbed butter but I've never tried that.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

With a store-treated bird, there is no need to brine. I've cooked several pre-brined birds, I usually don't brine again. I inject it with some melted butter with some cajun seasoning mixed in, rub the outside and under the skin with olive oil or butter and cajun seasoning, and smoke upright (beer-can style) on the Akorn. They turn out great. Crisp skin, tender and juicy inside with good flavor. Let's just say that nobody else is allowed to cook the turkeys for the family T-giving get-together now. And definitely use the Akorn, smoke at about 325-350.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sexyturkey.jpg (114.8 KB, 232 views)

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
DirtyChurro
Knows what a fatty is.

I like your turkey's b00bies!
DirtyChurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChurro View Post

Just caught that...

There is a thread going somewhere about that too..

Nice bird!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

I have smoked turkeys and there is nothing like it. They are awesome. In the future, if you buy a Butterball Turkey, you don't have to worry about doing the brine.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

One hint for your first time. Place a bag Ziplock bag on the breast or about 30 minutes before you put it on the smoker. This will bring down the temp of the breast lower than the thighs. Your breast and thighs should be done close to the same time and your breast won't dry out.
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've brined birds that were already injected with solution and they turned out great.

You'll probably be fine without brining too though.

TALKIN TURKEY, eh....?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChurro View Post
I think they're putting too many hormones in poultry these days..

I got that idea from an old chicken throwdown thread on here. Everybody got a kick out of it when I brought it out to carve it.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
funugy
Take a breath!

I don't know why, but I have only smoked one turkey, and that was this last Thanksgiving. It was arguably the best turkey I have ever made. It was a pre-brined bird, but I brined it anyway following one of the brine recipies on this site. It was not too salty at all. It was great I must say myself.

New on the list of things to do soon..TURKEY
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote