MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #31
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Another vote for APL being over the top, and not someone I am a fan of.

He is to BBQ what Paula Deen is to good southern cookin..a travesty.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmad View Post
Take his stupid herb brush.
It is not going to add anymore flavor than any other method of adding herb flavor. But it is an incredible waste of herbs, money and time.

Injections, slathers, marinades serve a purpose and that purpose cannot be accomplished in a cheaper, less labor and time intensive manner.

The same cannot be said for many of APL "methods" (or should I say "gimmicks"?)

Be honest, he's not trying to cook, he's trying to sell books. He needs a hook and over-complication is his hook. Do you think he does this nonsense in private when cameras aren't around?

I get the whole book sale thing... that's a given with anything someone is selling.. It's got to be interesting..

I have no clue if he makes herb brushes at home or not. On the flip side, as a world class chef, I doubt he's making boxes of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese for dinner either.

People think just because something is written it's got to be followed to the point rather than adapting parts of it you like or making your own variations etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Another vote for APL being over the top, and not someone I am a fan of.

He is to BBQ what Paula Deen is to good southern cookin..a travesty.
I get not being a fan... but to say he's a travesty to BBQ is extreme.

It's been several years, but had the pleasure of meeting Adam on more than one occasion, and to this day, the jumvo beef rib he cooked and served stands out as the single best BBQ item I've ever had.

Not liking someone's techniques is fine, but I don't get the need to bash, nor do I see the Paula Deen connection. There are only a few people like him that have been successful in bringing authentic BBQ to the masses. This is a guy with world class cooking experience who has a passion for outdoor cooking, BBQ etc and brings elements of his culinary talents to it. He's also a guy that could show up at any BBQ contest on any given day using almost any equipment and have a legit shot at placing at the top.

What's so bad about that ?

XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #33
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

That makes beating baby seals look mellow!
Where's PETA when you REALLY need them, LOL!! (never thought I would say that)
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I get the whole book sale thing... that's a given with anything someone is selling.. It's got to be interesting..

I have no clue if he makes herb brushes at home or not. On the flip side, as a world class chef, I doubt he's making boxes of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese for dinner either.

People think just because something is written it's got to be followed to the point rather than adapting parts of it you like or making your own variations etc.

I get not being a fan... but to say he's a travesty to BBQ is extreme.

It's been several years, but had the pleasure of meeting Adam on more than one occasion, and to this day, the jumvo beef rib he cooked and served stands out as the single best BBQ item I've ever had.

Not liking someone's techniques is fine, but I don't get the need to bash, nor do I see the Paula Deen connection. There are only a few people like him that have been successful in bringing authentic BBQ to the masses. This is a guy with world class cooking experience who has a passion for outdoor cooking, BBQ etc and brings elements of his culinary talents to it. He's also a guy that could show up at any BBQ contest on any given day using almost any equipment and have a legit shot at placing at the top.

What's so bad about that ?

Agreed, travesty may be a bit harsh for APL, that mainly applies to Paula & sons.

This has less to do with their skills as chefs, as it does their place in society as a spokesperson for their chosen genre.

Paula's mannerisms, look, and dishes are all choreographed for her audience.
As a southerner born and bred she annoys me, but I've never been a fan of make believe.

Same deal with APL. Beating a perfectly good rib roast with a bat, is more show than go.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I can't wait to do my next turkey.

I think it's going to be more fun to prep when it's still frozen.
That's a brilliant idea, Gore!

Maybe our next TD should be "Beaten, then Eaten"!

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #36
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
We'll, aside from actual merits of tenderizing and thinning out....along with the coolness factor that helps sell books

I saw him do this to a brisket in a competition back in 2006. He came in first place...

I wouldn't doubt it... just that guy trying to copy it in the first video looked totally ridiculous

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->