MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Fire extinguishers

Good morning,
What type of fire extinguisher are being used or mandated at comps?
Will a ABC work, or do i need a commercial rated ABC or other?
Thanks for any help,
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Heavenly Hog
Got Wood.

Any small 5lb extinguisher. I have one on-hand, but they're never checked for at comps.
[EMAIL="[email protected]"]Contact Us[/EMAIL]
Heavenly Hog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I take 2x 5 pounders, and I have had them checked to ensure they were full. I saw a team whos charge was low and they made them get another one.

Sal
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

You might want to check to make sure each contest has the same requirement. KCBS might have a different requirement than FBA for example.

Your best bet is to just hire a local fire department to hang out at your site........

Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
GWA
On the road to being a farker

Class K extinguishers were approved as a class somewhere about 1997 or 98. They were targeted almost exclusively for commercial kitchens because of the changes of cooking styles to different types of fats and fat content.

Halon is also very much used in commercial kitchens, but expensive to recharge.

But considering all (like price $$$)...I'd advise EVERYONE to buy and use Dry Chem (class B) extinguishers. Once I worked with and saw how superior they were to all other methods in putting out diesel fuel and jet fuel fires in a training pit, there was NO QUESTION in my mind.
GWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

From the 2010 KCBS Rules: "Contestants shall provide all needed equipment, supplies
and electricity, except as arranged for in advance. Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire and other codes. A fire extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices." So there's really no guidance from KCBS about size and type of extinguisher. You should check with the Contest Organizer to see if the local FD has any special requirements.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWA View Post
Class K extinguishers were approved as a class somewhere about 1997 or 98. They were targeted almost exclusively for commercial kitchens because of the changes of cooking styles to different types of fats and fat content.

Halon is also very much used in commercial kitchens, but expensive to recharge.

But considering all (like price $$$)...I'd advise EVERYONE to buy and use Dry Chem (class B) extinguishers. Once I worked with and saw how superior they were to all other methods in putting out diesel fuel and jet fuel fires in a training pit, there was NO QUESTION in my mind.
You use JET FUEL for your BBQ!?!?!?! You must be able to cook a brisket in like 5 minutes.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly Hog View Post
Any small 5lb extinguisher. I have one on-hand, but they're never checked for at comps.
Careful. Ours are checked probably over half the time.

Last comp, the fire marshall came through all the sites and made us move a propane tank 16 inches for 'safety'.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
GWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
You use JET FUEL for your BBQ!?!?!?! You must be able to cook a brisket in like 5 minutes.
Using jet fuel you don't get a bark, you get a ROAR !!!
GWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've been to plenty of contests that check your fire extinguishers. I've been to them where the cooks were not warned and the fire marshall came through. If you didn't have a up to date one, with tags and/or a receipt that had to be 5 pound variety. You had to run to the store. Fortunately, I have one and get it re-tagged every year. but if you were in a rv like me, what would you do?

Better off having one. I also carry a CO2 one that I would only use in my smokers. It's not tagged because it costs too much. But those other one's are just for show for the marshall. My real one I keep in the rv. No need to ruin a perfectly good smoker blasting it with the wrong chemical fire extinguisher.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
No need to ruin a perfectly good smoker blasting it with the wrong chemical fire extinguisher.
What would be your recommendation on type of extinguishers available?
Will wally world have them or do i need something else?
I have a couple of old extinguishers but they are out of charge and rated for wood.- A

The bigger one is sentry ss 2 1/2 b model but a rating.
Thanks for the help
I am trying to get organized for a practice cook soon and possibly a comp later this year. Pending funding.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Scottie

Get a ABC fire extinguisher. I'd recommend getting a 5 pound one. While some contests accept one of those smaller 2 1/2# Sentry's. Most will require a 5# one for the length of the blast. They want to make sure fires are out.. I believe that Home Depot's have the larger one's. Keep your receipt for it. That will show that it is up-to-date. I found out that those big box stores like to buy them and hold them. Mine was over 1 year old when I bought mine from the stamp on the bottom of it.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
beardjp

As a firefighter and one of those fellows that might inspect you. I would agree with Scotty, a 5lbs ABC all purpose fire extinguisher is your best bet, and easiest to find. Another one would be a class A pressurized water extinguisher. They can be filled with water and pressuized with any air compressor. Those are the big silver ones you see hanging in schools. They are hard to find, and they can be expensive.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #14
Rookie'48

I'm not real sure that presurized water is the way to go on a grease fire, especially if you have electricity (Guru, Traeger, FEC, etc.) involved.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #15
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

Water and grease = BIG fire

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote