THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
At the supermarket today, I saw a package of sliced beef heart for $2.00. So I thought, "Hey, I like beef. I should eat that." (That's what we call "deep analysis.")

I heated a cast iron skillet with olive oil until it was just smoking, and salted the sliced heart while the oil was heating. I then seared the slices for 90 seconds on each side. It looked like this:

20141229_172741_Richtone(HDR).jpg

It was delicious. Intensely beefy, with no coppery liver-ish taste. We just snacked on them plain, as appetizers. I think it would be great on a salad with arugula or spinach. I'm also thinking of mincing it and mixing it with shallots and parsley. In short, I love this stuff, and it's crazy cheap. If you've tried beef heart, how did you do it? If not, you should.

Beef heart can be delicious, and there are many ways of preparing it. There is a Peruvian thing going on in Portland, Oregon, and beef heart, grilled, is huge there, and quite good.

I haven't tried beef heart yet but a buddy just got a freezer full of beef and is saving the heart for me.

I love venison heart. My last one I chunked up, tossed it on skewers and hit with briefly with some high heat. it's ridiculously good.

Beef heart is popular up here in CT with a strong concentration of Italian descendants, although difficult if not impossible to find in restaurants, it seems to be a special occasion homemade thing now. Anyways, it's called sufrite in Italian (different than Latino sofrito) and is is slow simmered in a tomato sauce until tender and absolutely delicious. Never have had it grilled or pan fried but would imagine it to be great that way as well. It has a nice strong flavor that balances well with the acidity and sweetness of a good homemade sauce.

Get ready,hearts are headed the same way as all the other "used to be cheap" cuts.Wings,hangers,briskets,etc.

That's some goooood eatin' there. I love beef heart. Great job!!

Offal is a beautiful thing.

The Thais like to grill up the stuff (most any sort of meat or prepared entails) before tossing it in a thin, spicy dipping sauce.

Big fan... keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

Back